Isomorphism classes of groups of order 21

In summary, Artin says that the relation y^3 restricts the possible exponents i, and that x^(i^2) satisfies yxy^{-1} = x^i.
murmillo

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question in there?

Sorry, I accidentally pressed "Enter" on my keyboard and it got sent. But I do have a question about the proof in the Artin textbook.

Let G be a group of order 21. The Sylow 7-subgroup K must be normal, and the number of Sylow 3-subgroups is 1 or 7. Let x be a generator for K, and let y be a generator for one of the Sylow 3-subgrops H. Then x^7=1 and y^3=1, so H intersect K = {1} and therefore the product map HxK->G is injective. Since G has order 21, the product map is bijective.

OK, this following paragraph is where I'm stuck: Since K is normal, yxy^-1 is an element of K, a power of x, say x^i, where i is between 1 and 7. So the elements x and y satisfy the relations x^7=1, y^3=1, yx=(x^i)y. OK, this makes sense. But, says Artin, the relation y^3 restricts the possible exponents i:
x=(y^3)(x)(y^-3) = (y^2)(x^i)(y^-2) = y(x^(i^2))(y^-1)=x^(i^3)).
I don't understand the step after (y^2)(x^i)(y^-2). I understand that x is a generator of K, but is he saying that any generator g of K satisfies yxy^-1=g^i? Because we have
(y^2)(x^i)(y^-2) = y(y(x^i)y^-1)y^-1, and it seems that he's saying that y(x^i)y^-1 = x^(i^2)). So x goes to x^i under conjugation by y, but why does x^i go to x^(i^2)?

murmillo said:
OK, this following paragraph is where I'm stuck: Since K is normal, yxy^-1 is an element of K, a power of x, say x^i, where i is between 1 and 7. So the elements x and y satisfy the relations x^7=1, y^3=1, yx=(x^i)y. OK, this makes sense. But, says Artin, the relation y^3 restricts the possible exponents i:
x=(y^3)(x)(y^-3) = (y^2)(x^i)(y^-2) = y(x^(i^2))(y^-1)=x^(i^3)).

Ok, so we know that:
[tex]yxy^{-1} = x ^ i \Rightarrow \prod_{k = 1} ^ i \left( yxy^{-1} \right) = \prod_{k = 1} ^ i (x ^ i)[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow y \left[ \prod_{k = 1} ^ {i - 1} \left( x y ^ {-1} y \right) \right] xy ^ {-1} = x ^ {i ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow y \left[ \prod_{k = 1} ^ {i - 1} x \right] xy ^ {-1} = x ^ {i ^ 2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow y x ^ i y ^ {-1} = x ^ {i ^ 2}[/tex]

You can do the same to obtain: [tex]y x ^ {i ^ 2} y ^ {-1} = x ^ {i ^ 3}[/tex]. :)

Hope you can get it. If you have any more questions, just don't hesitate to ask. :)

Related to Isomorphism classes of groups of order 21

What is an isomorphism class of a group of order 21?

An isomorphism class is a set of groups that are considered equivalent under the concept of isomorphism. In other words, they have the same structure and can be mapped onto each other in a way that preserves the group operations.

How many isomorphism classes are there for groups of order 21?

There is only one isomorphism class for groups of order 21. This is because any two groups of order 21 are isomorphic to each other, meaning they have the same structure and can be mapped onto each other in a way that preserves the group operations.

What is the name of the group in the isomorphism class of groups of order 21?

The group in the isomorphism class of groups of order 21 is called the cyclic group of order 21, denoted by C21. This group is generated by a single element and has 21 elements in total.

What is the structure of the cyclic group of order 21?

The cyclic group of order 21, C21, has the structure of a group with a single generator, denoted by x, and the following operation rule: x^0 = e (identity element), x^1 = x, x^2 = x^3 = ... = x^20 = e. This means that any element in the group can be expressed as a power of x.

What are the properties of the cyclic group of order 21?

The cyclic group of order 21, C21, has the following properties: it is abelian (commutative), it is a finite group, it has exactly one subgroup of every divisor of 21, and it is a cyclic group, meaning it is generated by a single element. Additionally, it is also a simple group, meaning it has no nontrivial normal subgroups.

Back