Isomorphism of Surjective Homomorphisms in Finite Rings

In summary, isomorphism of surjective homomorphisms in finite rings refers to the property of two rings having the same structure and operations, such that every element in one ring can be mapped to an element in the other ring through a surjective homomorphism. This means that the two rings are essentially equivalent and can be seen as different representations of the same mathematical structure. The concept of isomorphism is important in the study of finite rings as it allows for easier comparison and analysis of these algebraic structures.
Icebreaker
"Let R be the ring Zp[x] of polynomials with coefficients in the finite field Zp, and let f:R->S be a surjective homomorphism from R to a ring S. Show that S is either isomorphic to R, or is a finite ring."

If S is isomorphic to R, then we're done. If S is not isomorphic to R, then by hypothesis, f is not injective. That is, ker(f) contains more than the zero element of R. ker(f) is an ideal of R, therefore there exists a surjective homomorphism p:R->R/ker(f), where p(x) = x + ker(f).

My question is, if R is homomorphic to S and R is homomorphic to T, what is the relation between S and T? Are they the same? Isomorphic? In the question, R and S are given. In my answer, S is constructed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you finishing solving the problem? If Ker(f) has a non-zero element, then it has some polynomial of degree k. You know then that elements of R/Ker(f) have degree no more than k, and since there are only a finite number of possible coefficients for a given term in a polynomial, you've shown that R/Ker(f) is finite, hence so is S.

Certainly, S and T need not be the same or isomorphic. For every polynomial p in R, there is the ideal generated by p, (p), and there is always a surjective homomorphism from R to R/(p). But it's not true that for any polynomials p, q, that R/(p) is isomorphic to R/(q).

I did finish solving the problem. I was just wondering whether the answer to my question was true. Thanks anyway.

Well the correct answer to any question is true ;). Is your question the following: If there exists a surjective homomorphism f : R -> S and a surjective homomorphism g : R -> T, what is the relation between S and T? Well we know S = R/Ker(f), and T = R/Ker(g). We know Ker(f) and Ker(g) are ideals. Moreover, we know that for any ideal J, there is a surjective homomorphism j : R -> R/J, which simply projects r in R to r + J (i.e. the coset of J containing r). Actually, I don't know all of this, this is what I would suspect is true from what I know of groups and what little I know of rings. Anyways, assuming the above is true, your question reduces to asking what the relationships are between two arbitary ideals of R. In general, R may have more than one ideal (in fact, it always has more than one ideal because it has R and {0}, but it may have more than one trivial ideal as well), and it may even have many non-trivial ideals which are not all isomorphic to one another. So if R is arbitrary, there is not much that can be said about the relationship between two ideals of R. Maybe in particular cases, R will only have non-trivial ideals that are isomorphic to one another. For an analogy, the group Z5 x Z5 has more than one non-trivial normal subgroup but any two non-trivial normal subgroups are isomorphic.

Exercise: Let R and S be commutative rings. Find a ring T and surjective homomorphisms T-->R and T-->S.

(commutativity isn't necessary)

T = R x S, with the homomorphisms given by (r,s) |-> r and (r,s) |-> s respectively.

Related to Isomorphism of Surjective Homomorphisms in Finite Rings

1. What is isomorphism in finite rings?

Isomorphism in finite rings refers to a one-to-one correspondence between two finite rings that preserves their algebraic structure. In other words, it is a mapping between two rings that maintains the addition, multiplication, and identity properties of the rings.

2. What is a surjective homomorphism in finite rings?

A surjective homomorphism in finite rings is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of the rings and maps every element in the first ring onto an element in the second ring. This means that every element in the second ring has a corresponding element in the first ring.

3. How do you prove the isomorphism of surjective homomorphisms in finite rings?

To prove the isomorphism of surjective homomorphisms in finite rings, you need to show that the mapping preserves the addition, multiplication, and identity properties of the rings. This can be done by demonstrating that the mapping is both one-to-one and onto, and that it preserves the operations and identities of the rings.

4. What is the significance of isomorphism of surjective homomorphisms in finite rings?

The isomorphism of surjective homomorphisms in finite rings is significant because it allows us to study the properties of different rings by using a more familiar ring as a model. It also helps us to establish connections and relationships between different rings, and to translate results from one ring to another.

5. What are some real-world applications of isomorphism of surjective homomorphisms in finite rings?

The concept of isomorphism of surjective homomorphisms in finite rings has applications in various areas of mathematics and computer science, such as cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic geometry. It also has practical applications in areas like finance and economics, where finite rings are used to model systems and make predictions.