Isomorphism Question: Struggling with Engineering Maths - Need Help!

In summary, the question asks you to find a isomorphism from the pentagram into itself. Once you label the outer vertices, tracing their routes will show that they are all the same.
havnek
Hi everyone. I am new to these forums. I do Computer System Engineering at Brunel university in London. I did Maths and Physics at A-level but I'm struggling with some of the maths in my Engineering Maths module. Could someone please help me with the exam question I have attached with this post. I have searched high and low on the internet for advice or an algorithm on spotting/proving isomorphism but have failed to find a conclusive method. Any help at all would be really helpful, thanks!

Attachments

• isomorphism.JPG
    isomorphism.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of them in 3 dimensions and rotate them. Look for the vectors to line up.

I haven't the foggiest; that is literally how the question appears in my past exam paper. There is no further information! :(

Notice that the function

f(1) = 6
f(2) = 8
f(3) = 10
f(4) = 7
f(5) = 9
f(6) = 3
f(7) = 5
f(8) = 2
f(9) = 4
f(10) = 1

is a isomorphism from the pentagram into it self, that is all points are the same, if you just start at some point and start to construct it you can't go wrong. So just pick a point and begin.

I have made the labeling for you, if you can't construct it yourself, but try yourself first it's not so hard.

Attachments

• picture.JPG
    picture.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 346
thank you so much that is a great help!

No problem. Of cause

"is a isomorphism from the pentagram into it self, that is all points are the same, if you just start at some point and start to construct it you can't go wrong"

need some elaboration, I've only shown that the outer points are the same as the inner point, but it seem pretty obvious that all outer points are the same, and that all inner points are the same... right?

yes, but that was my problem. I was starting by labelling all my outer vertices in a clockwise order the same as the pentagon, ie 1 2 3 4 5, where as in fact (in ur example solution) it goes 1 2 3 9 6. I realize the error i was making - Once you label the first few outer vertices, trace their routes the same as the pentagon and you will find they are isomorphic. I know my exam question will not be any harder than this question so I think with my current understanding I should be fine. Thanks again.

Related to Isomorphism Question: Struggling with Engineering Maths - Need Help!

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a concept in mathematics and computer science that describes a relationship between two structures or systems that are essentially the same, but may appear different on the surface.

2. How is isomorphism used in science?

In science, isomorphism is used to study and compare different systems or structures that have similar properties. This can help scientists understand underlying patterns and relationships between seemingly different systems.

3. What are some examples of isomorphism?

Examples of isomorphism can be found in chemistry, where molecules with the same chemical formula may have different structures but exhibit similar properties. In computer science, isomorphism is used to compare different data structures that have the same underlying functionality.

4. What is the difference between isomorphism and homomorphism?

Isomorphism and homomorphism are related concepts, but they have different definitions. Isomorphism describes a one-to-one correspondence between two systems, while homomorphism describes a relationship where the structure of one system can be preserved in another system.

5. Why is isomorphism important in science?

Isomorphism is important in science because it allows scientists to make connections and draw conclusions about different systems or structures. It can also help simplify complex systems and make them easier to study and understand.