Isomorphism without being told mapping

In summary, the conversation is about proving that the group G, consisting of matrices of the form 1 n and 0 1, where n is an element of Z, is isomorphic to the group of integers Z. The speaker is struggling to come up with a mapping between the two groups and is given some suggestions such as experimenting with arithmetic in G and using theorems about homomorphisms from Z. Ultimately, the speaker figures out the mapping by creating a notation for G(n) and the problem is solved.
Myriadi
Given:

G is the group of matrices of the form:

1 n
0 1

Where n is an element of Z, and G is a group under matrix multiplication.

I must show that G is isomorphic to the group of integers Z. I do not know how to do this, since all examples we covered gave us the specific mapping from one group to the other.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Among your options are:
  • Guess.
  • Experiment with the arithmetic in G to understand it better.
  • Invoke theorems about homomorphisms from Z.

Basically, you need to come up with a mapping yourself. Here's a hint, create a notation such as G(n) represents the matrix with n in Z, in the first row second column. The ideal isomorphism should pop out at you now. Let me know if that helps!

NruJaC said:
Basically, you need to come up with a mapping yourself. Here's a hint, create a notation such as G(n) represents the matrix with n in Z, in the first row second column. The ideal isomorphism should pop out at you now. Let me know if that helps!

I managed to figure the problem out not too long ago. That is exactly what I decided to do. Thanks for confirming for me! Problem solved. :)

Related to Isomorphism without being told mapping

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a concept in mathematics and science that refers to a one-to-one correspondence or mapping between two different systems or structures. In simpler terms, it means that two things are essentially the same, just presented in a different way.

2. What is the significance of isomorphism?

Isomorphism is significant because it allows us to understand and compare different systems or structures by finding similarities between them. It also helps us to translate information and ideas from one system to another, making it a useful tool in problem-solving and analysis.

3. What is the difference between isomorphism and mapping?

The terms isomorphism and mapping are often used interchangeably, but they have subtle differences. Isomorphism refers to the overall concept of a one-to-one correspondence between structures, whereas mapping specifically refers to the process of creating this correspondence between two systems.

4. Can isomorphism exist without being explicitly told about the mapping?

Yes, isomorphism can exist without being explicitly told about the mapping. In fact, isomorphism is often discovered or inferred through observations and analysis of the structures, rather than being explicitly stated. This is because the mapping may not be known or understood, but the underlying similarities between the systems can still be identified and compared.

5. How is isomorphism used in different fields of science?

Isomorphism is a widely applicable concept that is used in various fields of science, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, and computer science. It is used to identify and understand similarities between different concepts, systems, and processes, and to translate information between them. Isomorphism is especially useful in fields such as chemistry and biology, where it helps to compare and understand molecules and biological structures.