Just wondering about electrons.

• Thread starter Dazed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of charge from a cloud to the Earth, with an estimated charge of -20 C. The formula used to determine the number of electrons involved is N = Q/e, which results in a negative value. The concept of negative charge and the definition of the Coulomb are also mentioned. It is concluded that when dealing with electrons, the elementary charge is -1.6 x 10^-19 C.
Dazed
3. In a lightning bolt, it is estimated that a charge of -20 C is transferred from a cloud to the Earth. How many electrons make up such a lightning bolt?

N = Q/e

N = -20c / 1.6 x 10^-19

N = -1.25x10^20

I'm pretty sure this is the right answer. What I'm wondering is... how can I have a negative number of electrons? This makes this formula seem flawed to me. I guess I can just remove the negative sign after the fact, is that what most people do?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are going to take e to be a positive number, then the charge of the electron has to be -e. You have a positive number of particles. Good that you recognized that your answer didn't make sense.

The electrical charge is either positive or negative. The Coulomb was defined as positive (since it is the amount of charge carried by 1A for one second and the current is defined as going from positive voltage to negative). So a quantity of electrons is negative since they have negative change.

This is the formula we were given:

Q = Ne

Where Q is the charge in coulombs, N is the number of electrons,
and e is the elementary charge (1.6 x 10^-19 C).

So the elementary charge is actually -1.6 x 10^-19 C whenever you're dealing with electrons?

FAQ: Just wondering about electrons.

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge and are found in the outer shells of atoms. They are essential for the formation of chemical bonds and are responsible for electrical conductivity.

2. How do electrons move?

Electrons move through an atom's electron cloud, which is a region around the nucleus where they are most likely to be found. They can also move through conductive materials, such as wires, when an electric current is applied.

3. What is the role of electrons in electricity?

Electrons are responsible for carrying electric charge in a circuit. When an electric current is applied, electrons flow from a negative terminal to a positive terminal, creating a flow of electricity.

4. Can electrons be created or destroyed?

No, electrons cannot be created or destroyed. According to the law of conservation of charge, the total amount of charge in a closed system must remain constant. This means that electrons can only be transferred from one atom to another and cannot be created or destroyed.

5. How are electrons related to the periodic table of elements?

The number of electrons in an atom's outer shell determines its position on the periodic table. Elements in the same column, or group, have the same number of electrons in their outer shell, which is why they have similar chemical properties.