K Corrections: Explaining Fluxes in 250μm (Janskys)

However, since the template is already normalized to 5500 A, there is no brightness information available to apply the correction. In summary, to correct your observed fluxes to rest frame ones, you will need to use the transmission filter function and apply the k-correction using the relevant equations provided.
gboff21
So I'm trying to k-correct some fluxes in 250μm (janskys) using the M82 template found here and the relevant equations found here (I also have the transmission filter function). The template is normalised to 5500 A and doesn't have a brightness so I fail to see how I can correct my observed fluxes to rest frame ones.

Can anyone explain this? It's been a long day!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The basic idea behind k-correction is to account for the redshift of a given source by "re-shifting" the observed flux to a common reference frame. In this case, you need to shift the observed 250 μm flux from the M82 template from the observed wavelength to the rest frame of the source. To do this, you need to multiply the observed flux by the ratio of the reddened transmission filter function at the observed wavelength and the filter function at the rest frame wavelength. This ratio is what is referred to as the k-correction.

FAQ: K Corrections: Explaining Fluxes in 250μm (Janskys)

1. What is a K correction?

A K correction is a method used in astronomy to convert flux measurements at different wavelengths to a common reference wavelength. This is necessary because the observed flux of an object changes depending on the wavelength being measured.

2. Why is the K correction important?

The K correction is important because it allows for accurate comparisons of flux measurements at different wavelengths, which is necessary for understanding the true properties of astronomical objects. It also helps to correct for any biases introduced by the instrument used to make the measurements.

3. How is the K correction calculated?

The K correction is calculated by comparing the observed flux at a specific wavelength to the expected flux at a reference wavelength. This is typically done using theoretical models or observations of known objects with well-characterized flux measurements.

4. What is the reference wavelength used for K corrections?

The reference wavelength used for K corrections varies depending on the type of object being observed and the instrument used. For 250μm (Janskys) flux measurements, the reference wavelength is typically chosen to be in the optical or near-infrared range.

5. How do K corrections affect astronomical data analysis?

K corrections are an important factor in accurately analyzing astronomical data, as they allow for proper comparisons of flux measurements at different wavelengths. Without K corrections, it would be difficult to accurately determine the properties and characteristics of astronomical objects.