Kinetic Energy and Angle of Velocity - Clarification

In summary, the question asks for the determination of the angle f using the law of conservation of energy. The skier's mass, slope length, and magnitude of kinetic friction are given, along with initial and final speeds. The reason for not using the vertical component of velocity in calculating kinetic energy is that KE is the energy of motion and direction does not matter, whereas for potential energy, only the vertical component is used because it is the work done against the pull of gravity.
Sandy_221
THE QUESTION IS THIS:

A skier of mass 55.0 kg slides down a slope 11.7 m long, inclined at an angle f to the horizontal. The magnitude of the kinetic friction is 41.5 N. The skier’s initial speed is 65.7 cm/s and the speed at the bottom of the slope is 7.19 m/s. Determine the angle f from the law of conservation of energy. Air resistance is negligible.

I know the answer to this question. What I don't understand though is why is it that we don't use the vertical component of velocity here (or in any other conservation of energy for that matter) when calculating 1/2 v1 squared and 1/2 v2 squared . I mean why aren't you supposed to take the vertical components of velocity for both v1 and v2, but only use their own values. Whereas for the height in calculating the poential energy you do.

This is kind of bugging me. So, I appreciate your thorough response everyone!

Sandy

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravitational PE means the work against the pull of gravity. But work = force x distance in the DIRECTION of the force. Hence for this PE we use the VERTICAL distance since the gravitational pull is in the vertical.

But KE means the energy of motion - whether in the vertical or in any other direction. So for the KE the whole magnitude of the velocity is used and not just some componet of velocity.

When calculating the change in gravitational potential energy you are calculating the work done against gravity. Since gravity acts vertically, only the vertical component of distance matters.

But when calculating the kinetic energy--the energy due to a body's speed--direction doesn't matter. You must use the entire velocity, not just one component.

(Looks like grzz beat me to it.)

Related to Kinetic Energy and Angle of Velocity - Clarification

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying half of the object's mass by its velocity squared.

3. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and velocity?

The relationship between kinetic energy and velocity is directly proportional. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

4. How does the angle of velocity affect kinetic energy?

The angle of velocity does not affect kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is only dependent on the speed and mass of the object, not its direction of motion.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, or sound energy, depending on the situation and surroundings of the object.