Length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the length contraction using the Lorentz transformation matrix and considering two events. The correct result is reached, but there is a step that the speaker does not understand. The two events are (t1, x1) and (t2, x2), where x1=0 and x2=L. The speaker wonders if this assumption is correct, and the other person agrees. They also suggest trying the inverse transformation matrix for an easier approach.
fluidistic
Gold Member
1,2,3. Homework Statement
I tried to derive the length contraction using the Lorentz transformation matrix and considering 2 events. I reached the correct result but there's a step that I had to assume that I don't understand.

Consider a ruler of length L along the x-axis for an observer at rest with respect to the ruler. The inertial reference frame of that observer is K.

Consider an observer moving alongside the x-axis with speed v. The inertial reference frame of that system is K'.

I considered the events (omitting y and z): ##(t_1,x_1)## and ##(t_2,x_2)##. They are worth ##(t_1,0)## and ##(t_2,L)##, respectively. (*)

Then ##\begin{bmatrix} t_1'\\x_1' \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} \gamma & - \beta \gamma \\ -\beta \gamma & \gamma \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} t_1\\x_1 \end{bmatrix}##. This yields the two equations ##t_1'=\gamma t_1## and ##x_1'=-\beta\gamma t_1##.

While ##\begin{bmatrix} t_2'\\x_2' \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix} \gamma & - \beta \gamma \\ -\beta \gamma & \gamma \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} t_2\\L \end{bmatrix}## yields ##t_2'=\gamma t_2 -\beta \gamma L## and ##x_2'=-\beta\gamma t_2 +\gamma L##.

Now since I want to obtain a distance measurement in K', I set ##t_1'=t_2'## and then I solve for ##x_2'-x_1'## and I indeed reach that it's worth ##L/\gamma##.

What didn't like/understand about my own derivation is that for it to work, I had to assume that even though ##t_1 \neq t_2##, ##x_1=0## and ##x_2=L## (see (*)). To me, this is equivalent to say that the length of the ruler is NOT worth L for an observer at rest with respect to it.

Oh wait, actually it could well be... since the observer is at rest with respect to the ruler, it doesn't matter when it measures the spatial distance between the 2 extrema of the ruler, it will always be L no matter when each measurement was performed. Is this reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, sounds good!

Note, you might try using the inverse transformation matrix for going from primed to unprimed coordinates and seeing if it's any easier. You can let the observation time in the primed frame be ## t_1' = t_2' = 0 ##.

Last edited:
Likes fluidistic

Related to Length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix

1. What is length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix?

Length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix is a phenomenon predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity. It states that when an object moves at a high velocity, its length will appear shorter in the direction of its motion when measured by an observer at rest. This is due to the time and space dilation effects of special relativity.

2. How does the Lorentz transformation matrix work?

The Lorentz transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used to calculate the effects of special relativity on length, time, and space. It uses the principles of time dilation and length contraction to relate measurements made by observers in different frames of reference. It is based on the equations developed by Hendrik Lorentz and Henri Poincaré in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

3. Is length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix a real phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix is a real phenomenon that has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. It is a fundamental aspect of special relativity and has been successfully used in many practical applications, such as GPS technology and particle accelerators.

4. Does length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix only apply to objects moving at high velocities?

Yes, length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix only applies to objects moving at high velocities, specifically those approaching the speed of light. At everyday speeds, the effects of length contraction are too small to be noticeable. However, they become significant as the velocity approaches the speed of light.

5. Can length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix be observed in everyday life?

No, length contraction via Lorentz transformation matrix is not observable in everyday life because the velocities involved are too small. It is only noticeable in extreme situations, such as in particle accelerators or with objects traveling at close to the speed of light. However, its effects can be indirectly observed through other phenomena, such as time dilation and the twin paradox.

Back