Let α and β be two von Neumann ordinals

In summary: For part ii, is it a contradiction because the order is not a well-ordering?Suppose x is not a transitive set and let y be a subset of x which has no ∈ minimal element. Then there is an infinite ∈ chain ∈ an ∈ an-1 ∈... ∈ a1 ∈ y which contradicts the axiom of foundation as it implies that there are no sets ai such that x ∈ a1 ∈ a2 ∈...∈ an and there are no infinitetly descending ∈ chains in x.
mathshelp
(a) Let α and β be two von Neumann ordinals. Show that α ⊂ β if and only if α ∈ β.

(b) Show that the Axiom of Foundation implies that a transitive set which is linearly ordered by ∈ is an ordinal

I can't seem to follow through this properly, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org

What's your definition of an ordinal?

(a) Assume the definition is "any ordinal is defined by the set of ordinals that precede it," as in Wikipedia (paraphrasing John von Neumann). Using the natural numbers as a special case, and using notation "[x]" to mean "do you think x is in there somewhere?" or (alternatively) "assume it is," I can write A = {0, 1, ..., A - 1} and B = {0, 1, ..., [A,] ..., B-1}.

Suppose:
(i) A is an element of B
(ii) A is not a proper subset of B

Show contradiction.

Now suppose:
(i) A is a proper subset of B
(ii) A is not an element of B

Show contradiction.

(b) What is a transitive set? What does it mean that it is linearly ordered by ∈ ? Can you come up with an example? Now assume the set in your example is not an ordinal. How do you write "A is not an ordinal" using logical (set theoretic) symbols? Why does this contradict the Axiom of Foundation?

Last edited:

Don't forget that there are two distinct types of ordinal involved in the proof: successor ordinals and limit ordinals, and you must give distinct arguments for each.

For part i, is it a contradiction since von neumann ordinals are totally ordered by ∈?

For part ii i was thinking

let x be a transitive set which is linearly ordered by ∈. We need to prove that the order is a well-ordering. If not then there is some subset y⊆x which has no ∈ minimal element. Then we have an infinite ∈ chain ∈ an ∈ an-1 ∈... ∈ a1 ∈ y which contradicts the axiom of foundation as it implies that there are no sets ai such that x ∈ a1 ∈ a2 ∈...∈ an and there are no infinitetly descending ∈ chains in x.

Does that make sense?

mathshelp said:
For part i, is it a contradiction since von neumann ordinals are totally ordered by ∈?
Suppose B = {0, 1, ..., A, ..., B-1}; why does this imply A is a subset of B?

Related to Let α and β be two von Neumann ordinals

What is the definition of a von Neumann ordinal?

A von Neumann ordinal is a mathematical concept used in set theory to represent and compare different cardinal numbers. It is named after mathematician John von Neumann and is based on the idea of constructing ordinals using the set of all smaller ordinals.

How are von Neumann ordinals different from other types of ordinals?

Von Neumann ordinals are different from other types of ordinals, such as Cantor ordinals, in that they are constructed using the set of all smaller ordinals. This allows for a more organized and hierarchical structure of ordinals, making them easier to compare and study.

What is the significance of using von Neumann ordinals in mathematics?

Von Neumann ordinals play a crucial role in set theory and the foundations of mathematics. They provide a rigorous and well-defined way to represent and compare different cardinal numbers, which is essential in many mathematical proofs and constructions.

Can von Neumann ordinals be used to represent infinite numbers?

Yes, von Neumann ordinals can be used to represent infinite numbers. In fact, they are particularly useful in this regard because they allow for the representation of different types of infinite numbers, such as countable and uncountable infinities.

How are von Neumann ordinals related to the concept of ordinal arithmetic?

Von Neumann ordinals are closely related to ordinal arithmetic, which is the mathematical operation of adding, subtracting, multiplying, and comparing different ordinals. The construction of von Neumann ordinals follows specific rules that allow for consistent and meaningful ordinal arithmetic operations.