Light travelling through glass.

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not light travels through glass. The person asking the question had originally believed that light does not travel through glass and is instead replicated by the glass itself. However, they have since read conflicting information from other sources. The question is whether this is just a matter of semantics or if there is a definitive answer. Another person chimes in with their understanding that visible light does pass through glass, but this is due to the low energy of the photons. However, they are unsure why glass reflects infrared energy.
azzkika
I know this isn't the first thread on this issue but I'm hoping some of you brainiacs can clear up something for me please.

I have been living under the understanding that light doesn't travel through glass but rather the glass itself replicates the emf. I learned this a many years back from some people I regard as pretty smart but I have since read numerous topics about light traveling through glass written by pretty smart people as well.

So... Does light actually travel through glass or not?

Science news on Phys.org
Is this just a semantics question? Light within the glass is partially electromagnetic wave, partially matter wave. Surely, if light appears on the other side, it has traveled through it, right?

From my understanding, visible light passes thru glass because the photons are too low in energy to jump the energy state of the electrons in the material. However, that doesn't really explain why glass reflects infrared energy.

Related to Light travelling through glass.

What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of particles called photons that travel in waves.

How does light travel through glass?

Light travels through glass by passing through the spaces between the atoms and molecules of the glass. The electrons in the glass absorb and re-emit the photons, causing them to travel through the material.

Why does light change direction when it travels through glass?

Light changes direction when it travels through glass due to a process called refraction. This occurs because the speed of light changes when it travels from one medium (air) to another (glass), causing the light rays to bend.

What factors affect the speed of light through glass?

The speed of light through glass is affected by the density and composition of the glass, as well as the wavelength and frequency of the light itself. Different types of glass will cause light to travel at different speeds.

Why does light appear to slow down when it travels through glass?

Light appears to slow down when it travels through glass because the photons are absorbed and re-emitted by the electrons in the glass, causing a delay in their travel time. This results in a slower overall speed of light through the material.

Back