Linear Algebra Proof, Is it correct?

In summary, the person is asking for someone to go over their proof and see if it is correct or at least on the right track. They mention a problem: if rank(T) = rank(T²), then R(T) ∩ N(T) = {0}. However, by the Nullity-Rank Theorem, this cannot be the case. A contradiction is thus produced.
Buri
I would like to have someone go over my proof and see if its correct or at least on the right track. Here's the problem:

Let V be a finite-dimensional vector space, and let T: V → V be linear. If rank(T) = rank(T²), prove that R(T) ∩ N(T) = {0}.

PROOF:

Lemma: Let V be a finite-dimensional vector space, and let T: V → V be linear. If rank(T) = rank(T²), then N(T) = N(T²).

Proof: By the Nullity-Rank Theorem (i.e. Let V and W be vector spaces, and let T: V → W be linear. If V is finite-dimensional, then nullity(T) + ran(T) = dim(V)) I have,

dim(V) = rank(T) + nullity(T)
dim(V) = rank(T²) + nullity(T²)

This implies that nullity(T) = nullity(T²). Furthermore, N(T) and N(T²) are both subspaces of V and as a matter of fact, they are both vector spaces. Now it is easily shown that N(T) ⊂ N(T²) and that N(T) is a subspace of N(T²). Therefore, by the Dimension Theorem (i.e. Let W be subspace of a finite-dimensional vector space V. Then W is finite-dimensional and dim(W) ≤ dim(V). Moreover, if dim(W) = dim(V), then V = W) we have N(T) = N(T²). □

Seeking a contradiction, suppose that R(T) ∩ N(T) ≠ {0}. Therefore, there is an x ≠ 0 ∈ R(T) ∩ N(T). This implies that x ∈ R(T) and x ∈ N(T). Since x ∈ R(T) then T(y) = x for some y ∈ V. Note that T²(y) = T(T(y)) = T(x) = 0 which means that y ∈ N(T²) and hence by the lemma y ∈ N(T) also. However, this implies that T(y) = 0 and hence a contradiction since x = T(y) ≠ 0. ♦

I'd appreciate if someone could look at it. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've probably said more than is necessary but I find nothing wrong with it.

lol you're the same person as on mathhelpforum...thanks again :)

Related to Linear Algebra Proof, Is it correct?

1. What is a linear algebra proof?

A linear algebra proof is a mathematical process in which a statement or theorem in linear algebra is logically shown to be true. This involves using mathematical reasoning and properties of matrices, vectors, and operations to arrive at a conclusion.

2. How do you know if a linear algebra proof is correct?

A linear algebra proof is considered correct if it follows the rules of mathematical logic and can be replicated by others. This means that the steps and conclusions must be clearly stated and supported by mathematical principles and definitions.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a linear algebra proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a linear algebra proof include making assumptions without justification, skipping steps, using incorrect notation, and confusing the order of operations. It is also important to clearly state the given information and what is being proved.

4. Can a linear algebra proof be proven in different ways?

Yes, there can be multiple ways to prove the same statement or theorem in linear algebra. This is because there are often multiple properties and operations that can be used to arrive at the same conclusion. However, all valid proofs should follow the rules of mathematical logic.

5. How can I improve my skills in writing linear algebra proofs?

To improve your skills in writing linear algebra proofs, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and properties in linear algebra. Practice by attempting different proofs and seeking feedback from others. It can also be helpful to study and analyze well-written proofs to understand their structure and reasoning.

Back