Linear Transformation Homework: Determine Whether Maps are Linear

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether certain maps are linear transformations. For part a, it is found that the map is not linear. For part b, a counterexample is suggested, but it is pointed out that a non-linear map can have a zero output. For part c, the concept of linearity is explained and the suggestion is made to prove it instead of finding a counterexample.
ak123456

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following maps are linear transformations
a) L: R^2 -- R
(x1)
(x2)
--
x1^2 +x2^2
b) L: Mn*n(R)--Mn*n(R)
A-- A-A^T
c)L:P3--P2 f-- f'+(f(3))t^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to show L(x+y)=L(x)+L(y) and cL(X)=L(cx)
for a) i find that (x1+y1)^2+(x2+y2)^2 not equals to (x1+x2)^2+(y1+y2)^2
so it isn't a linear transformaton
for b) can i use the counterexample
(01)
(10)
because A=A^T
for c) no idea for this one

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
b) L(A)=0, but that does not mean that L is not linear.

c) You know how elements of P3 look like: at^3+bt^2+ct+d. Check if linearity holds: L(v+w)=L(v)+L(w), L(rv)=rL(v) where you take for v and w elements of P3.

yyat said:
b) L(A)=0, but that does not mean that L is not linear.

c) You know how elements of P3 look like: at^3+bt^2+ct+d. Check if linearity holds: L(v+w)=L(v)+L(w), L(rv)=rL(v) where you take for v and w elements of P3.

so how can i get a counterexample for b) ?

ak123456 said:
so how can i get a counterexample for b) ?

Try proving linearity instead. :wink:

yyat said:
Try proving linearity instead. :wink:

thx . i will try it

FAQ: Linear Transformation Homework: Determine Whether Maps are Linear

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the linear structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, while maintaining the properties of linearity such as scaling and addition.

2. How do I determine if a map is linear?

To determine if a map is linear, you can apply the two key properties of linearity: preservation of addition and scalar multiplication. If the map satisfies these properties, then it is linear. You can also check if the map's matrix representation satisfies the properties of a linear transformation, such as having a unique solution and being closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

3. What is the difference between a linear and non-linear transformation?

A linear transformation preserves the properties of linearity, such as scaling and addition, while a non-linear transformation does not. In other words, a non-linear transformation does not follow the rules of linear algebra and can result in curved or distorted shapes, while a linear transformation results in straight lines or planes.

4. Can a map be both linear and non-linear?

No, a map can only be either linear or non-linear. If a map satisfies the properties of linearity, then it is linear. If it does not satisfy these properties, then it is non-linear.

5. How can I use linear transformations in real-life applications?

Linear transformations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and solve systems of equations, analyze data, and create visual effects in video games and animations. They are also used in machine learning and data compression algorithms.