Linear transformation with 2 ordered basis

In summary: I think that the correct statement would be "If A is the matrix representation of T with respect to the standard bases of R^2 and R^3 then [T(x)]_e= Ax where "[T(x)]_e is the vector in R^3 representing T(x) with respect to the standard basis and [x]_e is the vector in R^2 representing x with respect to the standard basis. If u1, u2 is an ordered basis of R^2 and b1, b2, b3 is an ordered basis of R^3 then T(x) can be represented by two different matrices, P= [u1, u2] and Q= [b1, b2,
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

Suppose L:R^2 -> R^3

Find the matrix representing L(x) = Tx with respect to the ordered basis [u1,u2] and [b1.b2,b3]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've excluded the actual values since i can do the computation. Just wanted to make sure these steps are ok and I should get 2 different matrices (one for each base)

1. [x]_u = u^(-1) [x]_e

[T(x)]_u = u^(-1) Ax

2. [x]_b = b^(-1) [x]_e

[T(x)]_b = b^(-1) Ax

then L with respect to u is

[T(x)]_u= [u^(-1)]*T*u

and L with respect to b is

[T(x)]_b = [b^(-1)]*T*b

(T) is the transformation matrix with respect to standard basis e
sorry for the poor notation.

much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what kind of answer you want. Of course, a specific matrix would depend upon the specific T. The standard way to find the matrix representation of a linear transformation is to apply the linear transformation to each vector in the first basis, here {u1, u2} and write the result as a linear combination of vectors in the second basis, here, {v1, v2, b3}.

I don't know what you mean by "(T) is the transformation matrix with respect to standard basis e". The standard basis of which vector space?

Related to Linear transformation with 2 ordered basis

What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another, while preserving the basic structure of the vector space. This means that the transformation must maintain the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

How many ordered basis are needed for a linear transformation?

In order to perform a linear transformation, we need two ordered basis - one for the input vector space and one for the output vector space. This allows us to define the transformation between the two vector spaces.

What is the purpose of using two ordered basis in a linear transformation?

By using two ordered basis, we are able to represent the transformation in a more concise and systematic way. It also allows us to easily calculate the transformation matrix, which is a useful tool in performing linear transformations.

Can a linear transformation change the dimension of a vector space?

No, a linear transformation cannot change the dimension of a vector space. This is because a linear transformation must preserve the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication, and changing the dimension would alter these fundamental properties.

How do you determine if a linear transformation is onto?

A linear transformation is onto if every element in the output vector space has at least one corresponding element in the input vector space. This means that the transformation covers the entire output vector space and there are no "gaps" in the mapping.

Back