Magnetic Flux through a Closed Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the divergence theorem to evaluate the total magnetic flux across a closed surface, and the possible dependence of this flux on the presence of an electric field. It is established that the magnetic flux is always 0 due to the absence of monopoles, but a changing magnetic field can still produce flux. The impact of a changing electric field on magnetic flux is also considered, with the conclusion that it is dependent on the presence of the electric field but not its position.
TH93

Homework Statement

Using the divergence theorem, evaluate the total flux of a magnetic field B(r) across the
surface S enclosing a finite, connected volume of space V, and discuss its possible
dependence on the presence of an electric field E(r).

Homework Equations

∇.B=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part was pretty straightforward. Using the Maxwell equation in conjunction with the divergence theorem, it is easy to see that the magnetic flux across a closed surface is 0. The next part somewhat confuses me. My initial thought is that the divergence of B being 0 holds for all cases and therefore the presence of an electric field should have no bearing on the magnetic flux. However, I am not 100% sure though. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing I could think of for the second part is that a changing electric field produces a magnetic field which would, obviously, affect the magnetic flux across the surface...

In what way does this happen? Would that mean a time dependant E field would produce a case in which the divergence of B is not 0. Surely for a closed surface this would not be possible?

In the question itself, the E field mentioned is only dependant on position so a time dependant case is irrelevant.

If the E field is strictly dependent upon position, I'm pretty sure that there is no way that it could affect the flux. But please don't rely on my answer alone. I'm by no means an expert in Electrodynamics

Well the magnetic flux describes the TOTAL flux through the surface. There is still magnetic fields flowing out of the surface, but because no monopoles exist, the flux has to equal 0 because the same amount that exist also enters. Referring to amperes law ∇ x B = [itex]\frac{∂D}{∂t}[/itex] + J That saying that the magnetic flux is equal to the change of the electric field over time. So if you have a changing magnetic field inside the closed surface, you also have magnetic flux. And that's why i think its dependent on the presence of an electric field. And since ∇ . E = [itex]\frac{∑Q}{ε}[/itex] It doesn't matter where it is.

Related to Magnetic Flux through a Closed Surface

1. What is magnetic flux through a closed surface?

Magnetic flux through a closed surface is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through that surface. It is a scalar quantity and is given by the dot product of the magnetic field and the surface area vector.

2. How is magnetic flux through a closed surface calculated?

Magnetic flux through a closed surface is calculated by taking the integral of the dot product of the magnetic field and the surface area vector over the entire surface. This is also known as the surface integral of the magnetic field.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a closed surface?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux through a closed surface is webers (Wb) or tesla-meter squared (Tm2).

4. How does the orientation of the surface affect the magnetic flux through a closed surface?

The orientation of the surface affects the magnetic flux through a closed surface because the dot product of the magnetic field and the surface area vector depends on the angle between them. If the surface is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the flux will be maximum. If the surface is parallel to the magnetic field, the flux will be zero.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating magnetic flux through a closed surface?

Calculating magnetic flux through a closed surface is important in understanding and designing electrical machines such as generators and motors. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic induction and in the design of magnetic shielding for sensitive equipment. Additionally, it is used in geophysics for mapping magnetic fields and in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Back