Maximum Angular Velocity of a quarter circle

In summary: Its center of mass is at the pivot, but because it's extended, a certain fraction of its mass is at each of the other points on the string. The total mass of the pendulum is still concentrated at the pivot, but because the mass at each of the other points is smaller, the pendulum's overall angular momentum is smaller. This is why the pendulum swings more slowly at the far end of the string than at the near end.
Yasin

Homework Statement

Finding the general formula for max angular velocity ( answers say 0.839*(g/b)) but I do not understand how

Homework Equations

0.839*(g/b)

The Attempt at a Solution

Question.PNG
Question.PNG

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 864
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to show some effort before you ask for help. The answer itself is not a relevant equation.

Sorry, I am new and my attempt I tried converting mgh(gravitational potential energy) into (mv^2)/2 (Kinetic energy)
b being the height i get mgb=mv^2/2 so i get 2gb=v^2
v^2/r^2 is w^2 so i get 2gb/b^2=w^2 which is sqr(2g/b) as the answer
but somehow the answer in the book i use to study is different so i must be wrong
Now i see this is wrong because this is valid for a string and the question has a segment quarter circle.
Same method but using point mass at line where angle is 45 degrees i now get
w=sqr(2g(1-sin45)/b)

Last edited:
Regarding the potential energy... Does the whole semicircle fall a distance b?

CWatters said:
Regarding the potential energy... Does the whole semicircle fall a distance b?
The fall is any distance but here I assume when the part where 'm' is located is nearest to bottom that will be the max speed thus max angular velocity

What I was hinting at is the available PE cannot be mgb because the centre of mass cannot fall a distance "b".

CWatters said:
What I was hinting at is the available PE cannot be mgb because the centre of mass cannot fall a distance "b".
Yes you are right and i did change the last one by editing the first post
and i think i have solved it thanks for all support the solution is as follows in picture for any interested
Some reason the textbook solution is wrong

Attachments

• quartercircleproblem.jpg
    quartercircleproblem.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 295
  • quartercircleproblem2.jpg
    quartercircleproblem2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 260
Mechanical energy conservation is the way to go, but your solution is incorrect. Here you have an extended object that is acted upon by the external force of gravity. If you were to pretend that the entire mass of this contraption were concentrated at one special point, where would that special point be? Once you find that, then you can say ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac 1 2 m (\omega r)^2## where ##r## is not ##b##, but the distance from the pivot to the aforementioned special point. What you have here is a physical pendulum.

Related to Maximum Angular Velocity of a quarter circle

1. What is the maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle?

The maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle is π/2 radians per second.

2. How is the maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle calculated?

The maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (π/2) by the time it takes to complete a quarter circle.

3. What factors affect the maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle?

The maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle is affected by the radius of the circle, the mass of the object moving in the circle, and any external forces acting on the object.

4. Can the maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle be exceeded?

No, the maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle is a theoretical limit and cannot be exceeded without changing the radius or time it takes to complete the quarter circle.

5. How is the maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle related to linear velocity?

The maximum angular velocity of a quarter circle is directly related to the linear velocity of the object moving in the circle. As the angular velocity increases, so does the linear velocity.