Mean Value Theorem - Find the values of c

In summary, the function satisfies the mean value theorem and can be found all numbers c that satisfy the conclusion of the mvt.
sp09ta
1. Verify that the function satisfies the mean value theorem, then find all numbers c that satisfy the the conclusion of the mvt

f(x)=e^(-2x) on the interval [0,3]

2. f'(c)=[f(b)-f(a)]/[b-a]
1. f(x) is a composition of continuous functions, so f(x) is continuous on[0,3].
2. f(x) is a composition of differentiable functions, so it is differentiable on (0,3).

so, f(b)-f(a)=f'(c)(b-a)
e^-6-e^0=(-2*e^-2c)(3)

Then take the ln of both sides...
-6-0=ln(-6*e^-2c)
-6=ln(-6)+2c

Solve for c..?
c=[-6-ln(-6)]/[-2]

Can't have ln of a negative..(well without imaginary numbers). What's gone wrong? I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have
e-6 - e0=(-2*e-2c)(3) = -6e-2c

At that point both sides of the equation are negative. So multiply both sides by -1 before taking logarithms.

sp09ta said:
1. Verify that the function satisfies the mean value theorem, then find all numbers c that satisfy the the conclusion of the mvt

f(x)=e^(-2x) on the interval [0,3]

2. f'(c)=[f(b)-f(a)]/[b-a]

1. f(x) is a composition of continuous functions, so f(x) is continuous on[0,3].
2. f(x) is a composition of differentiable functions, so it is differentiable on (0,3).

so, f(b)-f(a)=f'(c)(b-a)
e^-6-e^0=(-2*e^-2c)(3)

Then take the ln of both sides...
-6-0=ln(-6*e^-2c)
-6=ln(-6)+2c
NO. ln(e^{-6}- e^0) is NOT -6-0. In general, ln(a+b) is NOT ln(a)+ ln(b).

Solve for c..?
c=[-6-ln(-6)]/[-2]

Can't have ln of a negative..(well without imaginary numbers). What's gone wrong? I'm stumped.

Hehehe... I had my value for b-a incorrect, which threw off my whole solution.. :D Got the right answer now, thanks for the feedback ;)

Related to Mean Value Theorem - Find the values of c

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists at least one point within that interval where the instantaneous rate of change (derivative) is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How do you find the values of c using the Mean Value Theorem?

To find the values of c, first find the derivative of the function and set it equal to the average rate of change of the function over the given interval. This will give you an equation with c as the variable. Then, solve for c using algebraic methods or numerical methods such as the Newton-Raphson method.

3. What does the value of c represent in the Mean Value Theorem?

The value of c represents the specific point within the given interval where the instantaneous rate of change (derivative) is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval. This point is also known as the critical point or the point of tangency.

4. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous and differentiable functions. This means that the function must be defined and have a well-defined derivative at all points within the given interval.

5. What are some real-life applications of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem has various applications in physics and engineering, such as finding the average velocity of an object over a given time interval or the average rate of change of a physical quantity. It is also used in economics to find the average growth rate of a business over a period of time.