Mean Value Theorem, Intermediate Value Theorem

In summary, for a differentiable function h on the interval [0,3], with h(0) = 1, h(1) = 2, and h(3) = 2, it can be argued by the mean value theorem that there exists a point d in the domain where h(d) = d, and at some point c, h'(c) = 1/3. Additionally, by applying the mean value theorem again, it can be shown that at some point x in the interval [0,3], h'(x) = 1/4. This is due to the fact that the derivative of a differentiable function satisfies the intermediate value theorem, even if it is not continuous.
fmam3

Homework Statement

Let [tex]h[/tex] be a differentiable function defined on the interval [tex][0,3][/tex], and assume that [tex]h(0) = 1, h(1) = 2[/tex] and [tex]h(3) = 2[/tex].

(c) Argue that [tex]h'(x) = 1/4[/tex] at some point in the domain.

Homework Equations

(a) Argue that there exists a point [tex]d \in [0,3][/tex] where [tex]h(d) = d[/tex].
(b) Argue that at some point [tex]c[/tex], we have [tex]h'(c) = 1/3[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This question comes in 3 parts and I've already solved parts (a) and (b). Part (a) is simply by the intermediate value theorem, using the fact that differentiation implies continuity and that continuous functions have the intermediate value property. Part (b) is by the mean value theorem. So those two parts I'm fine, but I'm kind of stuck on part (c).

I'm convinced that part (c) has something to do with the mean value theorem. And tips would be appreciated here! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Do you know that the derivative f'of a differentiable function f satisfies the intermediate value theorem even though f' may not be continuous? That plus what you know...

LCKurtz said:
Hint: Do you know that the derivative f'of a differentiable function f satisfies the intermediate value theorem even though f' may not be continuous? That plus what you know...

Ah.. yes, I know that --- but somehow it totally escaped me when I was looking at this problem. Then this is easy!

By part (b), [tex]\exists c_1[/tex] s.t. [tex]h'(c_1) = 1/3[/tex]. Applying the mean value theorem again on [tex][1,3][/tex], [tex]\exists c_2 \in (1,3)[/tex] such that [tex]h'(c_2) = \frac{h(3) - h(1)}{3 - 1} = \frac{2 - 2}{3 - 1} = 0[/tex]. And since we have [tex]h'(c_2) = 0 < 1/4 < 1/3 = h'(c_1)[/tex], then by the intermediate value theorem for derivatives, [tex]\exists x \in (c_1, c_2) \subseteq [0,3][/tex] s.t. [tex]h'(x) = 1/4[/tex].

Thanks again :)

Related to Mean Value Theorem, Intermediate Value Theorem

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on an interval, there exists at least one point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function on that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove many other important theorems in calculus, such as the First and Second Derivative Tests, Rolle's Theorem, and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It is also used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function on an interval.

3. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then it takes on every value between the function values at the endpoints of the interval. In other words, there are no breaks or gaps in the graph of the function on that interval.

4. How is the Intermediate Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is used to prove the existence of roots or solutions to equations. It is also used to show that a function has a specific value, such as a local maximum or minimum, on an interval.

5. Can the Mean Value Theorem and Intermediate Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem and Intermediate Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous functions on a closed interval. If a function is not continuous, then these theorems do not hold. Additionally, if a function is not differentiable, then the Mean Value Theorem cannot be applied.