Measurement scales are clearly defined except time.

In summary: The conversation is about how time should be measured and how scientists have tried to measure time but it is difficult. Scientists have disagreed about what time is. Some say it is a fourth dimension while others say it is just a perception. Scientists have also disagreed about how time should be measured. Some say time should be measured using a clock while others say it should be measured using a ruler. Some scientists have said time should be measured using a clock and ruler while others have said time should be measured using a clock and a fourth dimension. Scientists have also disagreed about how time should be measured when travelling in space. Scientists have disagreed about how time should be measured when travelling in time. Some scientists have said time should be measured using a clock and a
King Wildog
Never do we change a completely imagined, clearly defined linear measure. We don't change the fahrenheit scale as we use temperature measurements. Humidity, radioactivity, velocity, weight- None of these are ever manipulated. I hope this helps to make a point. Why does it automatically make sense to alter the units of time at various speeds when these speeds are unattainable and thus only studied in theory? Universal simultaneity is completely simplistic, and couldn't cause problems in experimentation results. In fact, don't try to alter units of time if your profession is in forensics- you may be charged with aiding and abedding!

I have always pointed to the obvious arrogance of needing to compensate for a clock which is being affected by its environment, but changing units or theory instead. Throughout time we have strived to develop a more reliable, durable clock which would resist all exposures of its envivonment- ie. my water resistant watch. Are you really going to accept time is different in the oven because my clock in the the oven reads a different time than an identical one just outside the oven? No, of course not. We know at these levels it is the environment is too hot in my oven for the clock. At more fantastic levels, though, we easily beg to have differences in fundamentals. So, if we tavel at this speed use this ruler, but at these speeds use this other ruler. Somehow an oversight committee should put regulations on us to prevent changing measurement units. We never know what could happen if this sort of information fell into the wrong hands. If the wrong group of people made a tiny change to the units of a measure to fit their theory, then there could be catastrophic changes to Science-- wait, this has happened in Time.

I have never been told Einstein differentiated between time and one's perception of time, so is it too much of a crime to assume he blended or somehow confused the two? Because of course the two are not the same. For example, My coworker and I worked the same shift, so did we perceive time at the same rate?- well no. To me the day dragged on, and to him it was very quick. We know different work loads, anticipation of events planned after work, etc. all change one's perception of time. Time, of course, simultaneously went right on with the entire universe. So it seems to be impossible in a lot of ways for my coworker and I to figure out if time is constant.

Find the forces affecting your clock. Time is a fourth dimension, but it's units must be left unadulterated unless you want to open the door to altering all other units of measure. The x,y, and z axes all continue on infinitely, and exactly- so should Time. When we measure time, what is measured is the duration of a given event or force. My confusion is how brilliant physicists can be oblivious to the difference between Time and Perception of time.

Universal Simultaneity- prevent criminals and the ignorant from changing this!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think scientists know the difference. Examples "the arrow of time" an "Feynman diagrams".

King Wildog said:
Never do we change a completely imagined, clearly defined linear measure. We don't change the fahrenheit scale as we use temperature measurements. Humidity, radioactivity, velocity, weight- None of these are ever manipulated.

I think you're oversimplifying. Temperature is much more complicated than the F scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature

Both temperature and time, in the everyday sense, are very regular and measurable, it is when you get to the extremes that things get all hinkey.

I understand the importance of clearly defined measurement scales in our research and experimentation. However, I also recognize the complexities and limitations when it comes to measuring time. Time is a fundamental dimension that is crucial in understanding the behavior of our universe. However, as you have pointed out, it is often affected by external factors such as temperature and environment, making it difficult to have a standardized and constant measurement.

While it may seem tempting to alter the units of time at different speeds, it is important to remember that these speeds are often unattainable and only studied in theory. Changing the units of time to fit a specific theory or perception can have significant consequences in the scientific community. It is crucial that we maintain a standardized measurement of time to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our research.

Your point about the difference between time and perception of time is also valid. While time is a constant dimension, our perception of it can vary based on individual experiences and external factors. It is important for scientists to consider this when conducting experiments and analyzing results.

In regards to universal simultaneity, I agree that measures should be taken to prevent any unauthorized changes to this fundamental concept. It is crucial for the integrity of science that we adhere to standardized measurements and prevent any alterations that could potentially have catastrophic consequences.

In conclusion, as scientists, it is our responsibility to carefully consider and maintain the accuracy and reliability of our measurement scales, including time. While it may be tempting to alter units to fit a theory or perception, it is important to remember the importance of standardized measurements in the pursuit of knowledge and understanding of our universe.

FAQ: Measurement scales are clearly defined except time.

1. What are the different types of measurement scales?

There are four commonly used measurement scales: nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio. Each scale has its own unique characteristics and level of precision.

2. How is time measured on a measurement scale?

Time is typically measured on an interval scale, where equal intervals represent equal differences in time. This means that the difference between 10 minutes and 20 minutes is the same as the difference between 20 minutes and 30 minutes.

3. Why is it important for measurement scales to be clearly defined?

Having clearly defined measurement scales ensures that data is collected and interpreted accurately. It allows for consistency and comparability in research and helps to avoid confusion or misinterpretation of results.

4. What is the difference between ordinal and interval scales?

Ordinal scales have categories that can be ranked in a specific order, but the distance between the categories is not equal. On the other hand, interval scales have equal intervals between categories, allowing for precise measurement of differences between values.

5. Can a measurement scale change over time?

Yes, measurement scales can change over time. As technology and scientific understanding advance, measurement scales may be updated or revised to better reflect the data being collected. It is important to regularly review and update measurement scales to ensure their accuracy and relevance.