Microscope magnification question

In summary, the conversation discussed how to determine the focal lengths of the objective lens and eyepiece of a compound microscope, as well as the object distance for viewing the final image and the total magnification. The equations used were Mapparent = (25/f) + 1, Mlinear = -i/o, Mtotal = -(i/o)*[(25/f)+1], and 1/i + 1/o = 1/f. It was discovered that the apparent magnification is the same as the angular magnification, and that the object distance is approximately equal to the focal length of the objective lens.
academi4

Homework Statement

A compound microscope has a length of 25 cm. The objective lens has a linear magnification of -20cm, and the eyepiece has an apparent magnification of 10, what are their focal lengths (fe and fo)?
How close to the objective lens should the object be placed for viewing the final image?
What is the total magnification?

Homework Equations

Mapparent = (25/f) +1
Mlinear = -i/o
Mtotal = -(i/o)*[(25/f)+1]
1/i + 1/o = 1/f
Mtotal = -25i/(fe * fo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in everything I know:

10 = (25/f)+1
solving for f
f= 25/9

-20 = -i/o
-i=-20o
i=20o

1/i+1/o = 1/f
1/(20o) + 1/o = 9/25
o=35/12

i=175/3

now I plug in i,o,and f to find Mtotal = -200

Now, my book says the object distance is approximately the focal length of the objective lens.

So, I guess o = focal of the objective lens.

fo = 35/12

Now, using:
Mtotal = -25i/(fe * fo)
solving for fe gives:
fe = 5/2

I think this is wrong though. Using this website:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/micros2.html#c1

If I put the length of the microscope = 25cm, fo = 12.5mm, fe = 25mm I get the correct answers for total magnification and linear magnification.

Apart from my book I cannot find anything about apparent magnification, so I doubt this equation in my book:

Mapparent = (25/f) +1

The website I linked to has an equation for Mangular = 25/fe

My book does not talk about angular magnification.

Any idea? Are M angular and M apparent the same?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi academi4! :wink:

From http://www.telescope-optics.net/telescope_magnification.htm" …
Apparent magnification of the objective is given by the ratio of the viewing angle of its object-image from the least distance of distinct vision (250mm average) to the viewing angle of the object observed directly.

So apparent magnification and angular magnification are the same: Me = 25/fe.

See the site for more details. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
for providing the equations you used to solve this problem. It seems that you have made some errors in your calculations, which is why your final answer does not match the correct solution.

Firstly, let's clarify the difference between angular magnification and apparent magnification. Angular magnification refers to the ratio of the angle subtended by the image at the eye to the angle subtended by the object at the objective lens. It is given by Mangular = 25/fe. On the other hand, apparent magnification refers to the ratio of the size of the image as seen through the eyepiece to the actual size of the object. It is given by Mapparent = (25/f)+1.

Now, let's go through your calculations. You correctly solved for the focal length of the eyepiece (f=25/9). However, your calculation for the focal length of the objective lens is incorrect. The correct equation to use is 1/i+1/o = 1/f, where i is the image distance, o is the object distance, and f is the focal length. Plugging in the values you know (i=20o and f=25/9), you get o=45/8.

Next, to find the total magnification, you can use the equation Mtotal = -(i/o)*[(25/f)+1]. Plugging in the values you know (i=20o, o=45/8, and f=25/9), you get Mtotal = -200/9. This means that the total magnification is -200/9, which is equivalent to -22.22.

Finally, to find the object distance for viewing the final image, you can use the equation 1/i+1/o = 1/f. Plugging in the values you know (i=20o and f=25/9), you get o=45/8. This means that the object distance should be placed at 45/8 cm from the objective lens.

In summary, the focal length of the objective lens is 45/8 cm, the total magnification is -22.22, and the object distance should be placed at 45/8 cm from the objective lens for viewing the final image. I hope this helps clarify any confusion and helps you in solving future problems involving microscope magnification.

FAQ: Microscope magnification question

1. What is microscope magnification?

Microscope magnification refers to the ability of a microscope to make an object appear larger than its actual size. It is the ratio of the size of an object as seen through the microscope to its actual size.

2. How is microscope magnification measured?

Microscope magnification is typically measured in terms of the number of times an object is enlarged. For example, a 100x magnification means that an object appears 100 times larger than its actual size.

3. What is the difference between total magnification and objective magnification?

Total magnification refers to the combined magnification of the eyepiece and objective lenses, while objective magnification refers to the magnification of the objective lens alone. The eyepiece typically has a fixed magnification of 10x, while the objective lens can vary in magnification (e.g. 4x, 10x, 40x).

4. How does increasing magnification affect the image quality?

Increasing magnification can improve the level of detail and clarity in an image, but it may also result in a decrease in brightness and depth of field. Therefore, it is important to adjust the lighting and focus when changing magnification levels.

5. What is the maximum magnification of a light microscope?

The maximum magnification of a light microscope is typically around 1000x. Beyond this, the image quality begins to decrease due to limitations in the lenses and lighting. For higher magnifications, an electron microscope is needed.

Back