Modules over an Integral Domain

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the statement R=K\oplus L implies K=0 or L=0, using the hypothesis of a ring with no zero divisors and the definition of a direct sum of modules. The conversation goes through various cases and eventually concludes that K and L are both ideals, which proves the statement.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Let R be a ring with no zero divisors such that for any [tex]r,s\in R[/tex], there exist [tex]a,b \in R[/tex] such that [tex]ar+bs=0[/tex]. Prove: [tex]R=K \oplus L[/tex] implies [tex]K=0[/tex] or [tex]L=0[/tex].

Homework Equations

Definition of direct sum of modules, integral domain...

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't know where to start on this one. In particular, I don't see what the hypothesis has to do with anything and certainly I do not see how it's related to the conclusion. I think all I need is a nudge in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that [tex]R=K\oplus L[/tex]. Take [tex]k\in K[/tex] and [tex]l\in L[/tex]. Is it ever possible that [tex]ak=bl[/tex] for some [tex]k,l\in R[/tex]??

If this doesn't help you, let's simplify the question: is it possible that k=l?

micromass said:
Assume that [tex]R=K\oplus L[/tex]. Take [tex]k\in K[/tex] and [tex]l\in L[/tex]. Is it ever possible that [tex]ak=bl[/tex] for some [tex]k,l\in R[/tex]??

If this doesn't help you, let's simplify the question: is it possible that k=l?

k=l only if k=l=0 since the sum is direct. Also, it is possible that ak=bl by hypothesis, but I don't see how this points toward a solution.

However, it seems clear that just before we say "thus, l=0" we would use the hypothesis that R is an integral domain and that bl=0.

Ok, you are correct. k=l only if k=0 and l=0.

Can you describe a similar restriction for ak=bl? I.e. what can you say about ak and bl if ak=bl?

micromass said:
Ok, you are correct. k=l only if k=0 and l=0.

Can you describe a similar restriction for ak=bl? I.e. what can you say about ak and bl if ak=bl?

Well the obvious implication is that one is the additive inverse of the other: [tex] ak-bl=0 [/tex]. But this is just a trivial restatement of what you said so I must be missing something here.

Ok, let's simplify it a bit: can it be true that 2k=l?? (assume for a second that [tex]2\in R[/tex]). Under what conditions can this be true??

micromass said:
Ok, let's simplify it a bit: can it be true that 2k=l?? (assume for a second that [tex]2\in R[/tex]). Under what conditions can this be true??

Yes but this implies [tex]k,l \in K \cap L=\lbrace 0 \rbrace [/tex] does it not?

Yes, if 2k=l, then k=0 and l=0.

Now, the general case: what if ak=bl??

micromass said:
Yes, if 2k=l, then k=0 and l=0.

Now, the general case: what if ak=bl??

I still don't see it. The previous case (2k=l) was obvious because 2k stays in K since of course K is a ring and thus closed under addition (2k=k+k). But a and b are arbitrary elements of R so we don't know where the elements ak and bl end up and I don't think the problem is designed to be broken up into cases. Even so, considering the different subcases doesn't seem to help.

Maybe you can prove that K and L are in fact ideals if [tex]R=K\oplus L[/tex]...
So if a is in R, then ak is in K...

micromass said:
Maybe you can prove that K and L are in fact ideals if [tex]R=K\oplus L[/tex]...
So if a is in R, then ak is in K...

I dismissed this idea earlier because I thought it would be more difficult to prove that K and L are ideals than the original claim. But here's what I have :

Let [tex]K \ni k=(k,0)\in K \oplus L, R \ni r=(k_1,l_1) \in K\oplus L [/tex]. Then, [tex] rk = (k_1,l_1)(k,0)=(kk_1,0) = kk_1\in K [/tex]. Thus, K is an ideal.

Assuming this is valid, the problem is complete! Thanks for your help.

Related to Modules over an Integral Domain

What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a type of mathematical structure that is similar to a field, but does not necessarily have all the properties of a field. It is a commutative ring in which all non-zero elements have a multiplicative inverse.

What is a module over an integral domain?

A module over an integral domain is a type of vector space over an integral domain. It is a set of elements that can be added and multiplied by elements of the integral domain, satisfying certain properties such as distributivity and associativity.

What are the key properties of modules over an integral domain?

The key properties of modules over an integral domain include the existence of a zero element, closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and distributivity and associativity of scalar multiplication. They also have the property of torsion-freeness, which means that the only element that maps to zero is the zero element itself.

What are some examples of modules over an integral domain?

Some examples of modules over an integral domain include the set of polynomials with coefficients in the integral domain, the set of all matrices with entries in the integral domain, and the set of all functions from the integral domain to itself. These examples demonstrate the versatility and applicability of modules over an integral domain in various mathematical contexts.

What are the uses of modules over an integral domain?

Modules over an integral domain have many uses in mathematics, particularly in algebra and number theory. They are used to study the structure of rings and fields, and to prove theorems in abstract algebra. They also have applications in coding theory, algebraic geometry, and representation theory.