Momentum of a free falling object

In summary, the question asks for the moment of the weight force of an object in free fall relative to its center of mass. The answer is that the moment is always zero because the center of reduction coincides with the center of mass and the line of action of the force passes through the center of reduction. This can also be explained with mathematical equations.
nebbione

Homework Statement

In a physics exam I have this question: "what is the momentum of the weight force of an object in a free fall relative to its center of mass?"

Homework Equations

Is my answer right ?

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is: "If we try to calculate the momentum, the center of reduction coincides with the center of mass, and the line of action of the force passes through the center of reduction, so the momenut is canceled"

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the momentum of the weight force of an object in a free fall relative to its center of mass?

I assume that should read..

"what is the moment of the weight force of an object in a free fall relative to its center of mass?"

Isn't the moment of the weight force allways zero because it allways acts through the center of mass?

Ok yes i know that is zero the answer but can you explain me in details why ? (try to re-read my attempt at answering the question)

Your answer is partially correct. In a free fall, the weight force acts on the object's center of mass, making the center of mass the center of reduction. However, the momentum is not canceled, it is conserved. The momentum of the object in a free fall will remain constant as long as no external forces act on it. This is known as the principle of conservation of momentum. So the momentum of the weight force of an object in a free fall relative to its center of mass is equal to the momentum of the object itself, which is constant.

FAQ: Momentum of a free falling object

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the motion of an object, calculated as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to free falling objects?

In free fall, an object is only affected by the force of gravity, which causes it to accelerate towards the ground. As the object gains speed, its momentum also increases.

3. Does the mass of an object affect its momentum when falling?

Yes, according to the equation for momentum (p = mv), the mass of an object directly affects its momentum. The greater the mass, the greater the momentum.

4. What is the relationship between momentum and velocity?

Momentum and velocity are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its momentum also increases.

5. How is the momentum of a free falling object calculated?

The momentum of a free falling object is calculated using the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and the velocity in meters per second (m/s).