Momentum Question Involving Elastic Collision

In summary, the problem involves a tennis ball with a mass of 67.6g and an initial speed of 28.8m/s hitting a wall and rebounding with the same speed. The force of the wall on the ball during the collision is shown in a force vs time graph. The goal is to find the value of Fmax, the maximum value of the contact force during the collision, which is applied for ti=19.1ms. The impulse is found to be 3.89 N*s by calculating the difference between the initial and final momentum. To find Fmax, the area under the curve must be determined, which can be broken up into three geometric shapes: two triangles and one rectangle. By equating
GarrettB

Homework Statement

A 67.6g tennis ball with an initial speed of 28.8m/s hits a wall and rebounds with the same speed. The figure below shows the force of the wall on the ball during the collision. What is the value of Fmax, the maximum value of the contact force during the collision, if the force is applied for ti=19.1ms?

Homework Equations

I= pf-pi
I= area under the curvehttp://s1329.photobucket.com/user/GarrettSPB/media/momentum_zps3611f797.png.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the impulse as the difference between the initial and final momentum. This ended up being 3.89 N*s. From that I know how to find Favg, but I'm stuck on how to find Fmax. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
IWhere is the figure?

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/GarrettSPB/media/momentum_zps3611f797.png.html

Can you see that?

I cannot see a figure. Is it a graph of Force vs time or what? If you don't have some characteristics of the tennis ball other than it being elastic, I wouldn't know how to find the max force. You probably know the average force. Or does the ball hit a wall at an angle?

Yes, exactly its a force vs time graph.

momentum_zps3611f797.png

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w548/GarrettSPB/momentum_zps3611f797.png

You must integrate the curve which amounts to finding the area. The integral of the curve is the imnpulse that you have figured out. Is this enough help?

Unfortunately not. I don't know how knowing the area under there can help me find Fmax. If I could break up the the graph into geometric shapes then I would have a better idea how to find Fmax. Is there some equation I'm missing?

Look at the graph. You know what ti is, given to be 19.1 msec. Basically, the area under the curve is the impulse. You can break up the curve into three parts and find the area as a function of Fmax. Then equate this to what you have determined the impulse to be.

I've tried doing that and it doesn't work. I choose the rectangle in the middle of the graph (t=19.1/3) and then evaluate for 3.89 N*s= 6.37msec* Fmax; Fmax=611N. And that's not correct

The right side of the equation is incorrect. You have three geometric shapes, two triangles and 1 rectangle. The Area of the first triangle is (1/2)base X height = (1/2) * 0.00637 sec * Fmax. Now do the other triangel and the rectangle and add them.

Oh wow. Thank you so much

Your time is 19.1 not 19.1/3 if this makes a slight difference

FAQ: Momentum Question Involving Elastic Collision

1. What is momentum in the context of elastic collision?

Momentum is a physical quantity that represents the motion of an object. In the context of elastic collision, momentum refers to the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant before and after a collision.

2. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system (the two objects involved in the collision) remains constant. This means that the sum of the momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without losing any energy. In contrast, in an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and some energy is lost to other forms, such as heat or sound.

4. How can we calculate the momentum of an object in an elastic collision?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In an elastic collision, the momentum of an object before the collision is equal to its momentum after the collision, so we can use the equation: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is mass and v is velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collision?

Some examples of elastic collision in real life include a game of billiards, where the balls collide with each other and bounce off in different directions without losing any energy, and a trampoline, where a person's momentum is conserved as they bounce up and down. Another example is a rubber ball bouncing off a hard surface, such as a wall, without losing any energy.

Back