Must Read: Marketplace Guidelines

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  1. Personal Responsibility
    • All transactions, trades, or giveaways in this sub-forum are between individual members. The forum and its administrators are not responsible for any damages, loss, fraud, or issues arising from these exchanges. Only deal with members you feel comfortable with and who have sufficient history as a member to evaluate their trustworthiness.
    • The payment and shipping process and details will be handled and negotiated between each party in a personal message.
    • Payment should be digital. Ex. Paypal, Venmo, Zelle, Cash App, Apple Pay etc.
  2. Ownership and Liability
    • Members participating in the exchange agree to take full responsibility for their actions and transactions. By participating, you acknowledge that you understand and accept that the forum owners and moderators have no liability for any disputes or problems.
  3. No Guarantees or Warranties
    • The forum does not guarantee any item's condition, authenticity, or accuracy. The members are responsible for verifying the details of the books being exchanged or sold.
  4. Use of Personal Messaging for Details
    • For safety, we recommend that members use direct messaging to share personal details like addresses or payment information. Do not post sensitive personal information publicly.
  5. Report Problems
    • If a member encounters fraudulent or problematic behavior, please report it to the moderators, but understand that PF will not intervene in individual transactions.
  6. Compliance with Local Laws
    • Members are responsible for ensuring that their transactions comply with local laws, including shipping and taxation regulations
  7. Access Restriction
    • Valid non-banned members with >= 25 posts and <= 3 warning pts are welcome to participate in the marketplace forum. Account access may be removed for any reason deemed appropriate by staff.
  8. Items Eligible for Marketplace
    • All items must have been legally purchased/obtained
    • Eligible items include:
      • Science, math, and humanities textbooks
      • Science, math, and humanities nonfiction books (pop sci, etc)
      • Science fiction books
      • Academic and teaching instruction materials
        • Solution manual transactions are not allowed
  9. Miscellaneous
    • One Book Per Thread
    • Commentary, reviews, and questions allowed in threads
    • When the transaction is complete, please post in the thread that is complete, so staff can mark it as such with a prefix.

Last edited:
  • Care
Likes pinball1970, Math100, DaveE and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
A question about solution manuals in Item 8:
Some instructional books are also accompanied with solution manuals for the particular book and from the same authors and publishers. Should be allowed.

Think about it: Student goes to school's bookstore to buy assigned instructional book and often the book comes as a package WITH the solution manual. Does the instructor or professor tell his students to reject any and all solution manuals for the assigned book?

@Greg Bernhardt What does the statement "Shipping to: North America" imply? No shipping to Europe allowed?

bigfooted said:
@Greg Bernhardt What does the statement "Shipping to: North America" imply? No shipping to Europe allowed?
The seller is allowed to set a region. Shipping large distances can be expensive/slow/problematic.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
Frabjous said:
The seller is allowed to set a region. Shipping large distances can be expensive/slow/problematic.
So I'm best sticking to Europe/UK for my books?

pinball1970 said:
So I'm best sticking to Europe/UK for my books?
I am unable to advise you if you are allowed to import books to UK from Europe because of Brexit. :wink:

I have found that for shipping to US, packages from UK take 1 to 2 weeks and packages from the rest of Europe take 2 to 4 weeks. The occasional package can take up to a couple of months. I once mailed a package to Southern Europe and the post office returned it to me four months later. Something had gone wrong in the customs office. I have seen shipping costs vary from $20 to $70.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Frabjous said:
I am unable to advise you if you are allowed to import books to UK from Europe because of Brexit. :wink:

I have found that for shipping to US, packages from UK take 1 to 2 weeks and packages from the rest of Europe take 2 to 4 weeks. The occasional package can take up to a couple of months. I once mailed a package to Southern Europe and the post office returned it to me four months later. Something had gone wrong in the customs office. I have seen shipping costs vary from $20 to $70.
Forgot about Brexit..... (Like a bad dream...)

$20-40 was what I looked at for UK to the states, 2-4Kg. Cheaper and quicker to see if there is a second hand copy on line probably.

Ok I will stick up what I have and select UK, then throw it out to EU or US if no one wants it.

pinball1970 said:
Forgot about Brexit..... (Like a bad dream...)

$20-40 was what I looked at for UK to the states, 2-4Kg. Cheaper and quicker to see if there is a second hand copy on line probably.

Ok I will stick up what I have and select UK, then throw it out to EU or US if no one wants it.
It depends on how many copies of a book are out there. There are books on my want list that I have never seen for sale in the last 25 years or have never seen priced less than $100. There are European books that do not show up regularly in the US, and I assume the converse is true. Many Russian and Japanese books (in English) are hard to find.

For example, foreign sale of Halliday and Resnick is probably not worth the trouble, but it would be for the 3 vol. edition of Alonso and Finn.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Frabjous said:
It depends on how many copies of a book are out there. There are books on my want list that I have never seen for sale in the last 25 years or have never seen priced less than $100. There are European books that do not show up regularly in the US, and I assume the converse is true. Many Russian and Japanese books (in English) are hard to find.

For example, foreign sale of Halliday and Resnick is probably not worth the trouble, but it would be for the 3 vol. edition of Alonso and Finn.
I have a couple from the 60s that may be of interest to an older lecturer.
Two newer ones.

Likes Frabjous
Frabjous said:
I guess that is a header we should place on any listing - where you are willing to ship and who pays shipping.

It could be that 2 people in the same region (outside North America) connect.

scottdave said:
I guess that is a header we should place on any listing - where you are willing to ship and who pays shipping.

It could be that 2 people in the same region (outside North America) connect.
I believe it is already there.