NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge

In summary, the conversation is about a design competition that has been going on since 2005, with a prize of over $350,000 for 2008. The person is unsure if they can compete as a Canadian, but later finds out that it is possible as long as the registered team leader is a US citizen or permanent resident. They also discuss the possibility of finding a US team leader to participate.
treborly45
Hey, i Just heard about these challenges that they have been doing since 2005. I saw the machines they created for 2007, and No one won. Well, the prize is now like over 350,000 for 2008. I`m thinking of giving it a shot, Just don't know if i can enter... The competition is in the States, Can Canadians take part in it? If anyone Has info on The time table for the 2008 competition and if i can even enter, please let me know.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt you'll be able to compete in anything like this, since you're in Canada.

I remember reading a while back about a Siemens design competition that I really wanted to compete in, but I wasn't able to because I'm Canadian as well. Probably the same sort of restrictions here.

MechanicalMan said:
I doubt you'll be able to compete in anything like this, since you're in Canada.

I remember reading a while back about a Siemens design competition that I really wanted to compete in, but I wasn't able to because I'm Canadian as well. Probably the same sort of restrictions here.

I thought i saw a Canadian team in some moon buggy race.. Not sure though. I emailed someone asking if i can compete, but they haven't responded. Its kinda stupid if i cant, that's mostly all we Canadians can do for the space program.

Well, I just found this.

"Teams from Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., Livermore, Calif., Berkeley, Calif., Fulks Run, Va., Rolla, Mo., Berkley, Mich., Milwaukee, and Vancouver, British Columbia, have registered to participate in the challenge"

So I guess I will be able to compete.

treborly45 said:
So I guess I will be able to compete.

Well then, get in there and kick some ass on behalf of all Canucks. :approve:

I just got an email back,

" Participation in the challenge is open, but the registered team leader will need to be a US person or company"

I was going to do this myself, so don't know if i can compete. Dont really know many people in the states.

Well, now i`m not sure. They just posted this

According to the Team Agreement, the Team Leader, if an individual, must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the US. If a company, must have its primary place of business in the US. Team Members must also meet the same criteria. The team is not required to pass these requirements down to sponsors or contractors who are not team leaders nor team members.

SO, guess i`m out?

So how about you approach someone on PF to see if s/he would be your team leader? It's a long shot that someone would agree to it, but you can't get hurt by trying.

treborly45 said:
...the registered team leader will need to be a US person or company"
A US person is
US Code said:
  • a citizen of the United States
  • an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence
  • an unincorporated association a substantial number of members of which are citizens of the United States or aliens lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or
  • a corporation which is incorporated in the United States

In other words, A Canadian with a US green card will suffice.

FAQ: NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge

What is the NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge?

The NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge was a competition organized by NASA in 2008 to promote the development of innovative excavation techniques for future lunar missions. The challenge focused on excavating lunar regolith, which is the layer of loose soil and rock on the moon's surface.

Who could participate in the NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge?

The challenge was open to teams of engineers, scientists, and students from around the world. Participants could be individuals or teams of up to 10 people.

What were the requirements for the NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge?

There were several requirements for the challenge, including excavating at least 150 kilograms of lunar regolith within 30 minutes, using only power sources and equipment that could be realistically used on the moon, and minimizing the amount of dust created during the excavation.

Did anyone win the NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge?

Yes, a team from California called "Lunabotics" won the challenge and received a prize of $500,000. They successfully excavated 159.6 kilograms of lunar regolith in 21 minutes, using a remote-controlled robot equipped with a bucket and a conveyor belt.

What was the significance of the NASA 2008 Regolith Excavation Challenge?

The challenge helped to advance the development of excavation techniques for future lunar missions, as well as promote collaboration and innovation among scientists and engineers. It also provided a platform for testing and improving technologies that could be used in future space exploration missions.