Neutron Generators: Build, Usage, Pictures, Plasma Focus

In summary, a neutron generator is a device that produces neutrons. There are two common methods used to produce neutrons- the (d+t) reaction where deuterons are accelerated and the (alpha, Be) reaction where alpha particles from a radionuclide of a Pu, Po or Ra isotope bombard Be nuclei.
JB Mandengue
a) I need a simple description of how a Neutron Generator is built and how it works.

b) Where can I see a picture of what a Neutron Generator looks like?

c) What is a Plasma Focus (PF) Neutron Generator?

d) Is PF the only type of Neutron Generator or are there other types?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

Two common methods would the (d+t) reaction using accelerated deuterons on a tritiated target, and an (alpha, Be) reaction in which alpha particles from a radionuclide of a Pu, Po or Ra isotope bombard Be nuclei.

There are other methods.

Thanks for the answer. I am familier with isotopic sources using the (alpha,n) reaction. It is the (d+t) you mention that I don't understand. How are the deuterons accelerated? Is he (d+t) a portable devise?
BTW this is not a home work problem.

JB Mandengue said:
Thanks for the answer. I am familier with isotopic sources using the (alpha,n) reaction. It is the (d+t) you mention that I don't understand. How are the deuterons accelerated? Is he (d+t) a portable devise?
BTW this is not a home work problem.
For the d+t reaction, there are two possibilities. One is to electrostatically accelerate deuterons across a potential difference of a few keV. The deuterons then stike a triton (nuclear of tritium) which could be in the form of a metal hydride. This is the principle of a neutron howitzer.

Another possibility is to heat a mixture of deuterium and tritium gas until is ionizes into a plasma. At sufficient temperature (with a reasonable density) deuterons and tritons will fuse, and in fact one might obtain d+d fusion, with production of He3+n or t+p. This is the principle behind magnetic confinement (low density) and intertial confinement fusion (high density).

The third alternative is a hybrid of the other two, using electrostatic fields to accelerate deuterium/tritium gas into a central confinement volume in the presence of a magnetic field.

Example - http://www.physics.ucla.edu/icnsp/PDF/bromley.pdf

Thanks again. Thanks so much. If I may ask further. Is a battery connected to the Neutron Generator to create the potential difference that accelerates the deuterons? Do you have a picture of one of these devises?

JB Mandengue said:
Thanks again. Thanks so much. If I may ask further. Is a battery connected to the Neutron Generator to create the potential difference that accelerates the deuterons? Do you have a picture of one of these devises?
Batteries are not used. Rather high voltage power supplies would be used.

Here is an article with a schematic.
http://fsl.ne.uiuc.edu/IEC/Miley_Radio.Nuc.Chem(2005).pdf

Fusor time arrangement
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Inertial_electrostatic_confinement

A patent - Neutron tube comprising an electrostatic ion source
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5152956.html

Thank you Astronuc. The principle and method of operation is now clear to me. With the drawings you indicated, I can visualize the equipment. I guess the only question left now is how "Plasma Focus" fits into all this.

Thank you Bob. I have just read the thermo article. very informative - especially the simple sketches and the photo which shows exactly how the NG looks.

FAQ: Neutron Generators: Build, Usage, Pictures, Plasma Focus

1. How do neutron generators work?

Neutron generators work by using a high voltage electrical discharge to create a plasma inside a vacuum chamber. This plasma then interacts with the generator's target material, usually deuterium or tritium gas, to produce a stream of high-energy neutrons.

2. How are neutron generators built?

Neutron generators are typically built using a cylindrical vacuum chamber, high voltage power supply, and a target material. The vacuum chamber contains a gas that is ionized by the high voltage, creating a plasma. The target material is placed at the center of the chamber and is bombarded by the plasma to produce neutrons.

3. What are some common uses for neutron generators?

Neutron generators have many practical applications, including in nuclear medicine for cancer treatment and diagnosis, in non-destructive testing of materials, and in research for nuclear physics and materials science. They are also used in security and detection systems to identify potential threats.

4. Can you provide a picture of a neutron generator?

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a picture as it would require additional markup. However, a quick internet search for "neutron generator" will bring up many images and diagrams of these devices.

5. What is a plasma focus neutron generator?

A plasma focus neutron generator is a type of neutron generator that uses a plasma focus device to produce high-energy neutrons. A plasma focus device is a pulsed power machine that creates a concentrated and intense magnetic field, which compresses and heats the plasma to very high temperatures, resulting in the production of neutrons.