Normalizing error of affine transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of least squares method to compute an affine transformation and the need to normalize the error of the computed transformation. The idea of dividing the error with the distance from the transformation center is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a recommendation to research linear regression for more information.
zokos
Hi everyone,

I have the following problem. Suppose I have a set of n>3 point pairs ( (x,y)->(x',y') ). From this set I can create an overdetermined linear system and using for example least squares compute an affine transformation that when applied to (x,y) gives us (x',y') within an error.
So for example let's say that least squares method gave us an affine transformation (A,T) where A is a linear transformation and T a translation vector. This affine transformation when applied to (x,y) will map it to (x'',y'') that is different to (x',y'). That is:
[x'';y''] = A * [x;y] +T (the semicolon means different row)
now the error of the computed transformation is the euclidean distance between (x',y') and (x'',y''). Let's say this distance d. I have an intuition that this distance should be normalized with something to be more representative of the failure or success of the computed transformation, but I don't know what that should be.

This thought came to me when thinking the simpler case of an euclidean transformation consisting of a rotation R and translation T. In this case point correspondences that are further from the transformation center are expected to have greater error than point close to the center. So in this case I could maybe divide the error with the distance of (x,y) from the transformation center. This transformation center could be easily computed as an eigenvector of the rotation matrix.

Now in the more general affine case is there something similar to do?

Any comment,solution,link is really welcome,
many thx,
zokos

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Normalizing error of affine transformation

1. What is normalization error in an affine transformation?

The normalization error in an affine transformation refers to the discrepancy or difference between the original coordinates of a point and the transformed coordinates after applying the affine transformation. It is a measure of how well the transformation preserves the geometric properties of the original object.

2. Why is normalizing error important in affine transformations?

Normalizing error is important in affine transformations because it allows us to quantify the accuracy of the transformation and assess how well it preserves the original geometry. It also helps us identify and correct any distortions or discrepancies in the transformed object.

3. How is normalization error calculated in an affine transformation?

The normalization error in an affine transformation is typically calculated by comparing the coordinates of several points before and after the transformation. The average difference is then taken as the measure of the normalization error.

4. What factors can contribute to high normalization error in an affine transformation?

There are several factors that can contribute to high normalization error in an affine transformation. These include the complexity of the transformation, the quality of the data used, and the precision of the calculations. Additionally, any errors in the choice of transformation parameters or assumptions made during the transformation process can also contribute to higher normalization error.

5. How can normalization error be minimized in affine transformations?

To minimize normalization error in affine transformations, it is important to carefully choose the transformation parameters and ensure that they are appropriate for the specific data and object being transformed. Using high-quality and precise data, as well as employing rigorous mathematical techniques, can also help reduce normalization error. Regularly evaluating and adjusting the transformation process can also help minimize error and improve the accuracy of the transformed object.