Optimization problems involving non-compact domains

In summary, this person is looking for advice on how to optimize functions defined over non-compact domains and is not satisfied with the information in their book.
Inertigratus
I have some understanding of how to solve problems involving compact domains.
Set the gradient to zero and solve for x and y, and then try to parameterize if needed to find max/min over the border of the domain.
The thing is, my book doesn't go into much detail on how to do optimize functions defined over non-compact domains. It basically says to try to narrow the domain down to a compact domain, and then optimize using the "method" described above. There are some examples too but they're not really helping me.

Does anyone have any good links to sites discussing some methods/problems?
Or if you have any tips yourself?

Oh and by compact domain I mean that it is confined and closed.
It's multivariable functions by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried doing one thing used in one of the examples in my book.

For example if the domain is 0 < x&y < infinity, then you change that into 0 < x < a, 0 < y < b.
Then you could turn it into a function of one variable by doing f(a, y) and f(x, b).
Taking the derivative to get 'y' respective 'x' as a function of 'a' respective 'b', then plugging that into the equation and then taking the derivative with respect to 'a' respective 'b' to get the values for a and b.

Does this always work? Is it a valid method?

In the example they didn't have both 'a' and 'b' but just one of them, since the other variable was already confined.

The reason your book doesn't deal with non-compact domains is that there may NOT be a point that optimizes a given function. To take a simple example, f(x)= x has no maximum or minimum value on (0, 1).

Well, it does deal with non-compact domains, but personally I think it's not explained well enough.
So how can I find out if a function has a max/min when defined over a non-compact domain?
Also, the "method" I described above, is it valid?

No one has anything to add? :)

Related to Optimization problems involving non-compact domains

1. What is a non-compact domain in optimization problems?

In optimization problems, a non-compact domain refers to a set of values or variables that do not have a finite upper or lower bound. This means that there are no restrictions on the values that these variables can take, making the optimization problem more complex.

2. How does optimization in non-compact domains differ from compact domains?

The main difference between optimization in non-compact and compact domains is that in non-compact domains, the solution space is unbounded, while in compact domains, the solution space is finite and bounded. This makes the optimization process more challenging as there are potentially infinite solutions in non-compact domains.

3. What are some common techniques used in solving optimization problems involving non-compact domains?

Some common techniques used in solving optimization problems involving non-compact domains include gradient descent, simulated annealing, and genetic algorithms. These methods are specifically designed to handle unbounded solution spaces and can be effective in finding optimal solutions in non-compact domains.

4. How do we determine the feasibility of solutions in non-compact domains?

In non-compact domains, it is essential to determine the feasibility of solutions before determining their optimality. This is because, in unbounded solution spaces, there may be multiple solutions that satisfy the optimization objective. Techniques such as constraint satisfaction and linear programming can be used to evaluate the feasibility of solutions in non-compact domains.

5. Can real-life problems be modeled as optimization problems involving non-compact domains?

Yes, many real-life problems can be modeled as optimization problems involving non-compact domains. For example, resource allocation, portfolio optimization, and production planning are all real-world problems that often involve unbounded solution spaces. By using appropriate optimization techniques, these problems can be solved efficiently and effectively.