Orbit Question - Perigee/Apogee Altitudes

• Thread starter GreenLRan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the satellite on-board engine gave the satellite a radial (outward) component of velocity of 240m/s which resulted in the new apogee and perigee altitudes being 621km and 196km, respectively.
GreenLRan
[SOLVED] Orbit Question

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular Earth orbit of altitude 400km. Determine the new perigee and apogee altitudes if the satellite on-board engine gives the satellite a radial (outward) component of velocity of 240m/s.

Answers: Z_apogee = 621km, Z_perigee = 196km

Homework Equations

mu = 398600km^3/sec^2
h (specific angular momentum) = r*v_perpendicular
a = semimajor axis of ellipse
2*a = perigee radius + apogee radius
v^2/2 + mu/r = -mu/(2*a) ( specific energy equation )
e= eccentricity of the orbit
theta = the true anomaly angle ( angle between eccentricity vector and the position vector)
r_perigee = a(1-e)
radius of the Earth = 6378km

r = h^2/mu * (1+e*cos(theta))

V_cir = sqrt(mu/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by getting the magnitude of the velocity (v_perp^2 + v_radial^2)^.5
then calculated the escape velocity to see if it would be a closed orbit.

I found that it was still an ellipse (i also calculated the specific energy and found that it was negative... thus being an ellipse) from the specific energy i got 'a' ( -mu/(2*a) )
and using rp = a(1-e) = h^2/mu*(1+e)^-1 (at theta = 0 for rp)

however... when i did this I used the same h that i got from the satellite being a circular orbit.. which i am unsure if that was incorrect to do..

finally after solving for e, i plugged it back into rp = a(1-e) to get ~ 6543km... then the altitude zp = 6543- 6378 = 165km.. which is incorrect... can anyone help?? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The eqn for r in a central force is given by:

½ mr’^2 + L^2/[2m(r^2)] + V = E,

where E is total energy, L is the ang mom, m is the mass of the body and V=PE. In this case, V= -GMm/r = -k/r.

In the 1st case, r=R is const. Because it’s a bound orbit, the total energy is, say, -E1, where E1 is +ve. Since r’=0, we can find the relationship between L, R etc from,

L^2/[2m(R^2)] – k/R = -E1. --(1)

Next, energy E is added to the body’s energy, but the L remains the same, since the impulse was in the direction of r. (E = ½ m*240^2 units.) The total energy is –E2. Then,

½ mr’^2 + L^2/[2m(r^2)] + V = -E2, where –E1+E= -E2, =>

½ mr’^2 = -E2 + k/r - L^2/[2m(r^2)] --(2).

At the apogee or the perigee, r’=0, from which you get the two reqd values of r. You can also show that r must lie between the two roots, showing that the orbit is bounded.

Thanks shooting star

Related to Orbit Question - Perigee/Apogee Altitudes

1. What is the difference between perigee and apogee altitudes?

Perigee altitude is the point in an orbit that is closest to the Earth, while apogee altitude is the point that is farthest from the Earth.

2. How are perigee and apogee altitudes determined?

Perigee and apogee altitudes are determined by the shape and size of the orbit, as well as the gravitational pull of the Earth. These factors can be calculated using mathematical equations and orbital measurements.

3. Do perigee and apogee altitudes change over time?

Yes, perigee and apogee altitudes can change over time due to external factors such as atmospheric drag and gravitational pulls from other celestial bodies.

4. What is the significance of perigee and apogee altitudes?

Perigee and apogee altitudes are important in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in orbit. They also play a role in determining the efficiency and stability of a satellite's orbit.

5. Can perigee and apogee altitudes be adjusted?

Yes, perigee and apogee altitudes can be adjusted by altering the velocity and direction of the object in orbit. This can be done using thrusters or gravitational assists from other celestial bodies.

Back