Orthogonal and symmetric matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of forming a symmetric matrix by computing X+X^{T}, and then goes on to ask about forming a matrix that is both symmetric and orthogonal. Suggestions are made, such as the identity matrix and a diagonal matrix with 1 or -1 at the diagonal. However, it is later clarified that the desired matrix is actually one that is symmetric and unitary, which means it must satisfy the conditions M=M^{T} and MM^\dagger=I. The conversation ends with a request for additional solutions to this problem.
mnb96
Hello,
I guess this is a basic question.
Let´s say that If I am given a matrix X it is possible to form a symmetric matrix by computing [itex]X+X^{T} [/itex].

But how can I form a matrix which is both symmetric and orthogonal? That is:
[tex]M=M^{T}=M^{-1}[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
You have implicitly stated that M is real. In this case I think only the identity matrix matches your requirements.

And also diagonal matrix with 1 or -1 at diagonal. Any more?

Thanks for the answers.
I just noticed that unfortunately I stated my problem incorrectly.

Starting from a matrix, I wanted to find another matrix which is symmetric (not Hermitian!) and unitary. That is:

[tex]M=M^{T}[/tex]
[tex]MM^\dagger=I[/tex]

Here [tex]M^{T}[/tex] means "transpose", while [tex]M^\dagger[/tex] means "conjugate transpose".

Hello,

Yes, this is a great question! To form a matrix that is both symmetric and orthogonal, we can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This process takes a set of linearly independent vectors and orthonormalizes them, meaning that they are all perpendicular to each other and have a length of 1. This can be used to create an orthogonal matrix, and then we can simply multiply it by its transpose to get a symmetric matrix.

Another way to form a symmetric and orthogonal matrix is by using the QR decomposition. This method decomposes a matrix into an orthogonal matrix (Q) and an upper triangular matrix (R). By setting R to be a diagonal matrix with the same values as Q, we can create a matrix that is both symmetric and orthogonal.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

FAQ: Orthogonal and symmetric matrices

1. What is an orthogonal matrix?

An orthogonal matrix is a square matrix where the rows and columns are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. This means that when the matrix is multiplied by its transpose, the result is an identity matrix.

2. How do you determine if a matrix is orthogonal?

To determine if a matrix is orthogonal, you need to compute its transpose and multiply it by the original matrix. If the result is an identity matrix, then the matrix is orthogonal.

3. What is the significance of orthogonal matrices?

Orthogonal matrices have several important properties, including preserving the length of vectors and preserving angles between vectors. This makes them useful in applications such as rotation and reflection transformations in linear algebra.

4. What is a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its transpose. This means that the elements above the main diagonal are equal to the elements below the main diagonal.

5. How can you tell if a matrix is symmetric?

To determine if a matrix is symmetric, you need to compare each element above the main diagonal to the corresponding element below the main diagonal. If they are all equal, then the matrix is symmetric.

Back