Parallel/Series Combination Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about whether a resistor is in parallel or in series with each other in a circuit and if a specific case is possible. The final conclusion is that the two circuits mentioned are identical and the resistor in question is indeed in parallel with another resistor.
N2L48
I understand the concepts of whether a resistor is in parallel or in series with each other. But I thought of a weird case that i can't seem to find examples for.

http://imgur.com/b2YMOnAIn this case, would R3 be in parallel or in series to R2? Or could this just be an impossible case?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
N2L48 said:
I understand the concepts of whether a resistor is in parallel or in series with each other. But I thought of a weird case that i can't seem to find examples for.

Can you do this circuit?

attachment.php?attachmentid=58292&stc=1&d=1367133626.png

How does it differ from yours?

Attachments

• circuit2.png
    circuit2.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 511
willem2 said:
Can you do this circuit?

attachment.php?attachmentid=58292&stc=1&d=1367133626.png

How does it differ from yours?

Thanks for the reply.

For that circuit, R3 and R2 would be parallel, so it would be the sum of the reciprocals of R2 and R3. Afterwards, R3+2 will be in series to R1 (Sum of both will give the Req).

My initial assumption was that the circuit I posted was the same as the one you posted, that R3 is parallel to R2, since there's more than 1 flow from R3 to R2. However I read something that confused me, and I just wanted to verify if my assumption was correct.

N2L48 said:
Thanks for the reply.

For that circuit, R3 and R2 would be parallel, so it would be the sum of the reciprocals of R2 and R3. Afterwards, R3+2 will be in series to R1 (Sum of both will give the Req).

My initial assumption was that the circuit I posted was the same as the one you posted, that R3 is parallel to R2, since there's more than 1 flow from R3 to R2. However I read something that confused me, and I just wanted to verify if my assumption was correct.

Yes, you're assumption was correct, and the 2 circuits are identical.

I appreciate your curiosity and critical thinking in exploring different circuit configurations. In this particular case, R3 can be considered to be in parallel with R2. This is because both resistors are connected to the same nodes (A and B) and there is a direct path for current to flow through both of them. However, it is worth noting that this is not a typical or practical circuit configuration and may not be encountered in real-world applications. It is important to understand the concepts of parallel and series circuits in order to analyze and design more complex circuits. Keep exploring and questioning, as it is through curiosity and experimentation that scientific progress is made.

FAQ: Parallel/Series Combination Circuits

What is the difference between parallel and series combination circuits?

In a series combination circuit, all of the components are connected in a single loop, so the same current flows through each component. In a parallel combination circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current is divided between them.

How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel or series combination circuit?

In a series combination circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel combination circuit, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

What happens when one component in a series combination circuit fails?

If one component fails in a series combination circuit, the entire circuit will stop working. This is because the current cannot flow through the failed component and complete the circuit.

What happens when one component in a parallel combination circuit fails?

If one component fails in a parallel combination circuit, the other components will continue to function. This is because the current can still flow through the other branches and complete the circuit.

How do voltage and current differ in parallel and series combination circuits?

In a series combination circuit, the voltage is divided between the components, while the current remains the same. In a parallel combination circuit, the voltage is the same across each branch, while the current is divided between them.