Permutation and combination question.

In summary, we are given that there are n students in a class and they are selected in sets of m. A student claims to have been selected a times. Using the formula for combinations, we can determine that the total number of selections made is nCm. To find the value of a in terms of m and n, we can look at an example with smaller values and observe the pattern. From there, we can use variables to find the solution for the general n, m problem. However, it is important to show your work when seeking help on a forum.
vkash
there are n students in a class. They are selected in sets of m. A student says he is selected a times. find value of a in terms of m and n.
Total number of selections made are nCm.
After that nothing is striking in my mind.can you please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
vkash said:
there are n students in a class. They are selected in sets of m. A student says he is selected a times. find value of a in terms of m and n.
Total number of selections made are nCm.
After that nothing is striking in my mind.can you please help.

Start by looking at small example, such as n = 4 and m = 2, 3 or 4. Select an element such as '1', and look at all the subsets that contain that element. Once you see the pattern, it should be easier to look at the general n, m problem.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Start by looking at small example, such as n = 4 and m = 2, 3 or 4. Select an element such as '1', and look at all the subsets that contain that element. Once you see the pattern, it should be easier to look at the general n, m problem.

RGV
getting trend how it is happening and understanding how is it happening is different thing & i want to know second one not first one so it will helpful for me if you did it with variables.
so can anybody please do it with variables.

vkash said:
getting trend how it is happening and understanding how is it happening is different thing & i want to know second one not first one so it will helpful for me if you did it with variables.
so can anybody please do it with variables.

The forum rules require you to show your work. You have not done that.

RGV

FAQ: Permutation and combination question.

1. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

Permutation and combination are two types of mathematical arrangements. Permutation refers to the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order, while combination refers to the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger set, regardless of the order. In other words, permutation involves arranging items in a particular sequence, while combination involves selecting items without regard to the order.

2. How do I calculate the number of permutations?

The number of permutations can be calculated using the formula nPr = n! / (n - r)!, where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being arranged. For example, if you have 5 objects and want to arrange them in groups of 3, the calculation would be 5P3 = 5! / (5-3)! = 5!/2! = 60.

3. When should I use permutations vs combinations?

Permutations are used when the order of items matters, such as arranging a playlist or seating arrangements. Combinations are used when the order does not matter, for example, selecting a committee or choosing toppings for a pizza. It is important to carefully consider whether order is important in the problem at hand in order to determine which mathematical arrangement to use.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve permutation and combination problems?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a permutation and combination function that can be used to solve these types of problems. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and formulas behind these calculations in order to ensure accurate results.

5. How can I apply permutation and combination in real-life situations?

Permutation and combination are used in many real-life situations, such as in probability and statistics, genetics, and computer science. They can also be used in everyday scenarios, such as creating unique passwords, organizing a schedule, or designing a lottery game. Understanding these concepts can help in problem-solving and decision-making in various fields.