Pneumatic Cylinder Discharge Equations

In summary, the conversation is about using Simulink/Simscape to model discharge of gas from a pressurized cylinder. The equations used are based on Van der Waals for real gas discharge and they are being compared to stock models from AMESim. The desired function is to calculate pressure and temperature changes based on mass flow and state variables. The current attempt involves two equations, one for the ideal gas equation of state and one for the change of internal energy. However, these equations do not work for real gas. The speaker is looking for suggestions on why there is a discrepancy and if their assumptions are incorrect.
QQ2013
Hi all,

First post here and I hope that somebody can help.

I'm using Simulink/Simscape to model discharge of gas from a constant volume, pneumatic, pressurised cylinder. No heat exchange with surroundings yet. I have got the equations matching the stock models from AMESim and Simscape for ideal gas discharge, but the aim is to model real gas discharge. Currently I'm keeping it simple and using Van der Waals equations.

The required function is required to calculate the following:
INPUT
mass flow dm
all state variables m, p, V, T etc.

OUTPUT
pressure change dp
temp change dT

It will then integrate and iterate.

CURRENT ATTEMPT
I need two equations to solve for two variables. Currently these are:
1) Equation of State (Ideal gas OR Van der Waals)
pV = nRT => V*dp = R(T*dn + n*dT)​
(or VdW equivalent)​

2) Change of Internal Energy
du = Cv*dT + [T(dp/dT) - p]dv​
(u, v are specific U, V; derivative is partial wrt v)​

= p*V*dm/m^2​

(from du = p*A*dx)​

These equations work for ideal gas but not quite for real. I can provide graphs if necessary. Can anybody suggest why there's a discrepancy? Have I assumed something which isn't quite true? Or is what I'm comparing it to incorrect (AMESim)?

Thanks,
QQ

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Up for you. I'm very interested in this topic. :)

Related to Pneumatic Cylinder Discharge Equations

What is a pneumatic cylinder discharge equation?

A pneumatic cylinder discharge equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the rate at which air is released from a pneumatic cylinder. It takes into account factors such as cylinder volume, air pressure, and flow rate to determine the time it takes for the cylinder to fully discharge.

Why is it important to know the discharge equation for a pneumatic cylinder?

Knowing the discharge equation for a pneumatic cylinder is important for several reasons. It allows for accurate prediction of the cylinder's performance, helps in selecting the right cylinder for a specific application, and aids in troubleshooting any issues that may arise during operation.

What are the variables involved in the pneumatic cylinder discharge equation?

The variables involved in the pneumatic cylinder discharge equation include the cylinder volume, air pressure, flow rate, and the time it takes for the cylinder to fully discharge. These variables can be measured or calculated to determine the rate of air release from the cylinder.

How is the pneumatic cylinder discharge equation derived?

The pneumatic cylinder discharge equation is derived from a combination of gas laws and the ideal gas equation. It takes into account the volume of the cylinder, the pressure of the air inside, and the flow rate to calculate the time it takes for the cylinder to fully discharge.

Are there any limitations to the pneumatic cylinder discharge equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to the pneumatic cylinder discharge equation. It assumes that the air inside the cylinder is at a constant temperature and that there are no leaks in the system. In reality, these conditions may not always be met, which can affect the accuracy of the equation.