Pressure gradient across flat plate with flow is zero?

In summary, pressure gradient in the flow direction for flow over a flat plate is zero due to the principle that a pressure gradient is needed to accelerate a flow, not maintain it. Viscous effects are confined to the boundary layer and do not affect the outer flow. Additionally, in potential flow, the ##\partial /\partial t## term in the x direction Navier-Stokes equation may or may not vanish depending on the definition of acceleration.
Urmi Roy
So I learned recently that pressure gradient in the flow direction for flow over a flat plate is zero. However I don't understand this, because there has to be something that sets the flow in motion in the first place, and for fluids this has to be a pressure gradient.
Could someone explain why in flow over a flat plate dp/dx=0?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The fluid motion might also be caused by, for example, the plate moving through the air. In that case there would be no pressure gradient but still a flow of air over the plate relative to the plate. That's just a counter-example that proves it can happen. The reason why is that you need a pressure gradient to accelerate a flow, not have it moving in the first place. Assuming the flow has already been set into motion, it can remain in motion at a constant velocity unless it encounters a pressure gradient, hence the Blasius boundary layer.

Last edited:
Thanks Boneh3ad. So I can say that if there is viscosity (and hence a momentum boundary layer) we would need a dp/dx to keep the flow moving at constant velocity?

No. The inviscid flow outside the boundary layer doesn't see the effects of the viscosity anyway so you don't need a pressure gradient to keep it going. Viscous effects are confined to the boundary layer where they cause the velocity to fall to zero at the wall but they don't affect the outer flow.

Great, thanks Boneh3ad, I think I got this. One remaining question I have, and occurred to me while doing problems on boundary layers is for flow over a flat plate, in case there is acceleration in the fluid (that is in potential flow), will the du/dt term in the x direction Navier-Stokes equation still go away?
Thanks!

It depends on whether you mean acceleration in that question. If, at a single point in space, the velocity changes, then the ##\partial /\partial t## term does not vanish. If it varies in space but is constant at a given point for all time, then it does vanish.

Related to Pressure gradient across flat plate with flow is zero?

1. What is a pressure gradient?

A pressure gradient is a change in pressure over a specific distance or area. It can be described as the force per unit area that drives a fluid flow.

2. How is the pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow zero?

The pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow is zero because there is no change in pressure in the direction of flow. This is due to the boundary layer that forms on the surface of the plate, which reduces the velocity and therefore the pressure difference across the plate.

3. Why is the pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow important?

The pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow is important because it affects the velocity and flow characteristics of the fluid. It also plays a role in determining the lift and drag forces on the plate, which are important in aerodynamics and fluid dynamics.

4. What factors affect the pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow?

The pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow can be affected by the viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the flow, the shape and size of the plate, and the angle of attack. Surface roughness and other external factors can also have an impact.

5. How is the pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow calculated?

The pressure gradient across a flat plate with flow can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity, density, and pressure at different points along the plate. Alternatively, it can be measured experimentally using pressure sensors placed at various points on the plate.

Back