Programming Hot Key for TI-89 Log Function

• Calculators
  • Thread starter philipc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log Ti-89
In summary, Philip is looking for a way to program a hotkey on his ti-89 calculator to display the log function in the main window. Another user suggests using the change of base formula and creating a user defined function, and also mentions the possibility of moving the log function to a custom menu. Philip also asks for more information on creating a custom menu.
philipc
I have a class where I'm using the log function a lot, I would like to program a hot key to display log on my ti-89 for I don't have to mess with the catalog, any suggestions?
Thanks
Philip

Computer science news on Phys.org
There isn't a nice key for base 10 logs. Use the change of base formula, using natural logs.

[tex]\log_{a}b=c[/tex]

[tex]a^c=b[/tex]

[tex]c=\frac{\ln b}{\ln a}[/tex]

EDIT: Sorry, you wanted to program a hotkey. I'm not familiar with how to do that, but I'm sure it's in the manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how to program the hot keys, but it displays only in the program window, if I can display it in the main window, I would be set. Any one know how to make a program display stuff in the main window?
Thanks
Philip

if you want to use this function in calculations, a program isn't very helpful. I would suggest a user defined function. first,let me mention that I think log is in catalog, maybe you can move it to your custom menu. Anyways, what I do, is make a function that does the log base anything of anything. try this: define Logg(a,b)=ln(b)/ln(a) or you could do ln(b)/ln(a)-> Logg(a,b) (ps the '->' is the store button on your calculator. I think define is f4 or something, if you can't find it look in your catalogue)

Can you enlighten me on this custom menu stuff
Philip

FAQ: Programming Hot Key for TI-89 Log Function

1. How do I program a hot key for the log function on my TI-89 calculator?

To program a hot key for the log function on your TI-89 calculator, follow these steps:

1. Press the "Apps" button on your calculator.
  2. Select "Data/Matrix Editor" and then "New..."
  3. Type in "Log(" in the "expression" field.
  4. Press the "Ctrl" button and then the "F4" button to insert the "log" symbol.
  5. Press the "Ctrl" button and then the "F1" button to insert a closing parenthesis.
  6. Press the "Ctrl" button and then the "F2" button to insert a comma.
  7. Press the "Ctrl" button and then the "F3" button to insert the base number.
  8. Press "Enter" to save the program.
  9. Go to the "Custom" menu and select "1: log".
  10. Press "Enter" to execute the program.

2. What is the purpose of programming a hot key for the log function?

Programming a hot key for the log function can save time and make it easier to use the function repeatedly. It allows you to access the log function quickly without having to type in the entire expression every time.

3. How do I use the hot key for the log function on my TI-89 calculator?

To use the hot key for the log function on your TI-89 calculator, simply press "Ctrl" and then the corresponding function key. For example, "Ctrl" + "F1" will execute the log function with the base number you specified in your program.

4. Can I program a hot key for the log function with a different base number?

Yes, you can program a hot key for the log function with a different base number by changing the number in the "expression" field when creating the program. Make sure to include the base number in the parentheses and to use a comma to separate it from the expression.

5. Is it possible to program a hot key for the natural logarithm (ln) function on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, it is possible to program a hot key for the natural logarithm (ln) function on your TI-89 calculator by following the same steps as programming a hot key for the log function. Instead of typing "Log(" in the "expression" field, type "Ln(". Also, make sure to use a comma after the "Ln" symbol to separate it from the expression.