Proof Limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6): Simple Solution

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Proof
In summary: So in summary, the solution involves finding an upper bound for the sequence and then using that to find an index N that satisfies the definition of a limit.
torquerotates
Now this is an example that I don't really understand. It says prove that the limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6)

Homework Equations

Lim{a}=L

For any epsilion>0 there is a N>0 such that n>N=> |{a}-L|<epsilion

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's the book's solution.

|(4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6) - 4|=|(3n+4)/(n^(3)-6)|<epslion

but if n>or=2, (3n+4)/(n^(3)-6)<epslion

they found an upper bound for the sequence.

(3n+24)<or =30n

& (n^(3)-6)>or =(1/2)n^(3)
So, (3n+4)/(n^(3)-6)<or= (30n)/( (1/2)n^(3))<epsion

=> 60/n^(2)<epslion
=> (60/epslion)^(-1/2)<n

so this implies that we make N=max{2, (60/epslion)^(-1/2)} Now here's my solution,

I never found a reason why they used an upper bound. Wouldn't a lower bound work just as well? (3n+4)/(n^(3)-6)<epslion

n/(n^(2)) <(3n+4)/(n^(3)-6)<epslion. Now I choose the denominator,n^2, arbitaritly just to make just sure that the denominator becomes smaller.

So solving, 1/epslion<n. This implies that we make N=max{2, 1/epslion}

So far, I'm convinced that my solution is the most simple. But is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\epsilon[/tex] is "epsilon" and you can simply write "<or = " as "<=".

Notice that your sequence is monotonically increasing. Let [tex]S= \left\{ a_{n}|n \in N \right\}[/tex] so [tex]\epsilon > 0, [/tex] you need to find an index N such that

[tex]|a_{n}- l| < \epsilon[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]a_{n} \leq l < l + \epsilon [/tex]

Notice that l is an upper bound for the set S, so

[tex] \implies l - \epsilon < a_{n} < l+ \epsilon [/tex]
So, l is the least upper bond or supS . Thus, there is an index N such that [tex]l - \epsilon < a_{N}[/tex]; but, the sequence is mononotically increasing so

[tex]l - \epsilon < a_{N} \leq a_{n}[/tex]

In Short: Since your sequence is monotonically increasing, then it converges if and only if it is bounded above.

FAQ: Proof Limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6): Simple Solution

1. What is the proof limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6)?

The proof limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6) is equal to 4. This can be shown through the use of the quotient rule for limits, where the limit of the numerator and denominator are evaluated separately and then divided together.

2. How do you solve for the limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6)?

To solve for the limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6), you can factor out an n^(3) from both the numerator and denominator. Then, you can divide each term by n^(3) to get the limit of 4 + 3/n^(2) divided by 1 - 6/n^(3). Finally, you can take the limit as n approaches infinity to get the final answer of 4.

3. Can you use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6)?

Yes, you can use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6). This rule states that if the limit of the numerator and denominator both approach 0 or infinity, then the limit of the original function is equal to the limit of the derivative of the numerator divided by the derivative of the denominator. In this case, the derivatives of both the numerator and denominator are equal to 12n^(2), which simplifies to 12 when taking the limit as n approaches infinity.

4. What is the difference between a simple solution and a rigorous proof?

A simple solution is a method of finding the limit that is easy to understand and does not require advanced mathematical concepts. It may not be a complete and rigorous proof, but it provides a quick way to find the answer. A rigorous proof, on the other hand, involves using mathematical principles and logical reasoning to show that the limit is indeed equal to a specific value.

5. Are there any other methods to solve for the limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6) besides factoring and L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are other methods to solve for the limit of (4n^(3)+3n)/(n^(3)-6). These include using the squeeze theorem, which involves finding two other functions that have the same limit as the original function, and using algebraic manipulation to simplify the expression before taking the limit. However, the most common and efficient methods are factoring and L'Hopital's rule.

Back