Prove no isomorphism from rationals to reals

• Thread starter issisoccer10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that there is no isomorphism from the set of rational numbers under addition to the set of real numbers under addition. An isomorphism is defined as a bijection that preserves addition, and the attempt at a solution involves trying to show a contradiction using this property. However, it is ultimately concluded that there is no algebraic contradiction and a different approach is needed. The conversation then goes on to discuss the property of rationals that for every nonzero x and y, there are integers n and m such that n*x+m*y=0. It is asked to prove this property, and it is shown that it holds true for rational numbers but not for real numbers such as \sqrt{2} or
issisoccer10

Homework Statement

Prove that there is no isomorphism, [tex]\phi[/tex], from Q under addition to R under addition

Homework Equations

An isomorphism [tex]\phi[/tex]:Q to R is a bijection such that [tex]\phi[/tex](x + y) = [tex]\phi[/tex](x) + [tex]\phi[/tex](y), where x,y are elements of Q

[tex]\phi[/tex](0) = 0.

[tex]\phi[/tex](-x) = -[tex]\phi[/tex](x)

The Attempt at a Solution

My inclination is to attempt to attempt to show a contradiction from two equal rationals p/q and p'/q' occurs when,

[tex]\phi[/tex](p/q - p'/q') = [tex]\phi[/tex](0) = 0, for p,q integers.

So, [tex]\phi[/tex](p/q) - [tex]\phi[/tex](p'/q') = 0,

However, I cannot arrive at an algebraic contradiction.

Is there a better way to go about this proof, relying only on group theory?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rationals have the property that for every nonzero x and y there are integers n and m such that n*x+m*y=0 where n and m are nonzero integers. Can you prove that? phi(n*x)=n*phi(x), right? Now find two reals that don't have that property.

Last edited:
Hi Dick,

Thank you very much for your help. I feel that I can prove the property of rationals that your described.

However, while I know that there are reals that don't have that property, such as [tex]\pi[/tex] and the sqrt(1), I do not know how to prove that those two numbers do not have that property.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

They don't. But let's pick an easier example, suppose phi(x)=1 and phi(y)=sqrt(2). Can you have n*1+m*sqrt(2)=0?

No, because that would imply [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] = -n/m, i.e. that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is rational..

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Related to Prove no isomorphism from rationals to reals

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a one-to-one correspondence between two mathematical structures. In this case, it refers to the relationship between the set of rational numbers and the set of real numbers.

2. How can it be proven that there is no isomorphism between the rationals and the reals?

There are several ways to prove this, but one common method is to show that there is no bijective function (a function that maps each element of one set to exactly one element of another set) between the two sets. In other words, there is no way to pair up every rational number with a unique real number.

3. Why is it important to prove that there is no isomorphism between the rationals and the reals?

Proving that there is no isomorphism between the rationals and the reals has significant implications in mathematics. It establishes that the two sets are fundamentally different and cannot be mapped onto each other in a 1-to-1 way. This has important consequences in fields such as calculus, where the properties of the real numbers are crucial.

4. Can you provide a real-life example of an isomorphism?

One example of an isomorphism in real life is the relationship between a map and the actual terrain it represents. A map is a simplified representation of the real world, but it still accurately reflects the relationships and distances between different points on the terrain.

5. Are there any other types of isomorphisms besides the one between the rationals and the reals?

Yes, there are many different types of isomorphisms in mathematics, including group isomorphisms, ring isomorphisms, and vector space isomorphisms. Each type of isomorphism describes a specific relationship between two mathematical structures, and they are all important concepts in various areas of mathematics.

Back