Prove Polynomial is Irreducible

• Thread starter burritoloco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the polynomial f(x) = x^p + x^{p-1} + ... + x - 1 is irreducible over Z_p where p is a prime. This can be proven by showing that the reciprocal of f(x+1), g(x) = 1 + x - x^p, is an irreducible trinomial. Therefore, f(x) is also irreducible.
burritoloco

Homework Statement

Show the polynomial
[tex]
f(x) = x^p + x^{p-1} + ... + x - 1
[/tex]
is irreducible over [itex]Z_p[/itex] where p is a prime.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know f(x) has no roots in Zp, but other than that, I'm stuck. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried:
Let [itex]g(x) = x^{p}f(1/x)[/itex] be the reciprocal of f(x). g(x) is irreducible iff f(x) is irreducible. We have
[tex]g(x) = -x^p + x^{p-1} + ... + x + 1[/tex]
[tex]-g(x) = x^p - x^{p-1} - ... - x - 1[/tex]
[tex]-(x - 1)g(x) = x^{p+1} - 2x^p + 1[/tex]
[tex]-xg(x+1) = (x+1)^{p+1} - 2(x+1)^p + 1 = x^{p+1} - x^p + x[/tex]
[tex]-g(x+1) = x^p - x^{p-1} + 1[/tex]

So, showing this polynomial is irreducible over [itex]Z_p[/itex] is equivalent to the original problem. But again, I'm stuck here :).

BTW, no real need for the reciprocal as I just realized that you can derive [itex] f(x+1) = x^p + x^{p-1} - 1[/itex] similarly.

In case anyone is interested in the solution:

The reciprocal of f(x+1) is [itex]g(x) = 1 + x - x^p[/itex]. But -g(x) is an irreducible trinomial. It follows f(x) is irreducible.

Related to Prove Polynomial is Irreducible

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. An example of a polynomial is 2x^2 + 3x - 5, where x is the variable and 2, 3, and -5 are the coefficients.

What does it mean for a polynomial to be irreducible?

A polynomial is irreducible if it cannot be factored into polynomials of lower degrees with coefficients in the same field. In other words, it cannot be broken down into simpler polynomials.

Why is proving a polynomial is irreducible important?

Proving that a polynomial is irreducible is important because it allows us to determine if a polynomial can be factored or not. This information is used in many areas of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and cryptography.

What is the process for proving a polynomial is irreducible?

The most common method for proving a polynomial is irreducible is by using the rational roots theorem and the Eisenstein criterion. The rational roots theorem helps us narrow down the possible factors of a polynomial, and the Eisenstein criterion allows us to determine if a polynomial is irreducible based on its coefficients.

Are there any other methods for proving a polynomial is irreducible?

Yes, there are other methods for proving a polynomial is irreducible, such as the Berlekamp algorithm and the Perron criterion. However, these methods are more complex and are typically used for specific types of polynomials.