Proving Injectivity of Group Homomorphism Given Relations

In summary, the question asks for a proof that the given homomorphism f is an isomorphism. Previous stages of the question have shown the uniqueness of f and considered the subgroup H = <y> and set of cosets A = {H, xH, yxH, y^2xH}. It is assumed that f is surjective. The first isomorphism theorem for groups may be relevant, as well as a similar question involving proving D_{2n} \cong <x,y|x^n,y^2,(xy)^2>. Attempts have been made to rewrite elements of G in a similar form as in the similar question, but have been unsuccessful so far.
a.powell

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G = \langle x,y \ | \ x^2, y^3, (xy)^3 \rangle[/itex], and [itex]f: G \rightarrow A_4[/itex] the unique homomorphism such that [itex]f(x) = a[/itex], [itex]f(y) = b[/itex], where [itex]a = (12)(34)[/itex] and [itex]b = (123)[/itex]. Prove that [itex]f[/itex] is an isomorphism. You may assume that it is surjective.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The previous stages of the question proved that the stated homomorphism was in fact unique, and considered the subgroup [itex]H = \langle y \rangle[/itex] along with the set of cosets [itex]A = \{H, xH, yxH, y^2xH\}[/itex], from which I have proven that [itex]gH \in A, \ \forall g \in G[/itex]. I'm not sure what relevance those stages have to the proof of isomorphism though I'd assume there is some relevance since otherwise the question would be a little disjoint; my only thought so far is that it relates to the first isomorphism theorem for groups, since we have a group homomorphism and a set of cosets, but I can't see how to make it work in this example. We did a similar question in lectures involving proving that [itex]D_{2n} \cong \langle x,y \ | \ x^n, y^2, (xy)^2 \rangle[/itex] where injectivity was proven by rewriting elements of the group as words of the form [itex]x^ky^l[/itex] using the given relations, and concluding that [itex]\#G \leq 2n[/itex]. I have tried something similar with this question but am struggling to rewrite elements of [itex]G[/itex] in a similar form (though I'd guess there'd be an irreducible factor of [itex](xy)^m[/itex] in the word somewhere) which is useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate to bump, but...anyone?

Related to Proving Injectivity of Group Homomorphism Given Relations

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function that preserves the structure of a group. In other words, it maps elements from one group to another in a way that respects the group operation.

2. How do you prove injectivity of a group homomorphism?

To prove injectivity of a group homomorphism, you must show that the function maps distinct elements to distinct elements. This can be done by considering the kernel of the homomorphism, which is the set of elements that map to the identity element of the target group. If the kernel is trivial (i.e. contains only the identity element), then the homomorphism is injective.

3. Can you give an example of a group homomorphism?

One example of a group homomorphism is the mapping from the group of real numbers under addition to the group of positive real numbers under multiplication. The function f(x) = ex is a homomorphism, as it preserves the operation of multiplication.

4. What are relations in a group homomorphism?

Relations in a group homomorphism refer to equations or statements that describe the relationship between elements in the domain and codomain of the function. These relations can be used to prove properties of the homomorphism, such as injectivity.

5. How does proving injectivity of a group homomorphism relate to other mathematical concepts?

Proving injectivity of a group homomorphism is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as isomorphisms, which are bijective homomorphisms, and group actions, which are functions that preserve the group structure. These concepts all involve understanding how functions interact with groups and how they preserve certain properties.