Proving Isomorphism between Lie Algebras

In summary: \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & ab \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & ab' \\ 0 & 0 &... \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \right)
Ted123

Homework Statement

Let [tex]\mathfrak{g} , \mathfrak{h}[/tex] be Lie algebras over [tex]\mathbb{C}.[/tex]
(i) When is a mapping [tex]\varphi : \mathfrak{g} \to \mathfrak{h}[/tex] a homomorphism?

(ii) When are the Lie algebras [tex]\mathfrak{g}[/tex] and [tex]\mathfrak{h}[/tex] isomorphic?

(iii) Let [tex]\mathfrak{g}[/tex] be the Lie algebra with basis vectors E,F,G such that the following relations for Lie brackets are satisfied: [tex][E,F]=G,\;\;[E,G]=0,\;\;[F,G]=0.[/tex] Let [tex]\mathfrak{h}[/tex] be the Lie algebra consisting of 3x3 matrices of the form [tex]\begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex] where a,b,c are any complex numbers. The vector addition and scalar multiplication on [tex]\mathfrak{h}[/tex] are the usual operations on matrices. The Lie bracket on [tex]\mathfrak{h}[/tex] is defined as the matrix commutator: [tex][X,Y] = XY - YX[/tex] for any [tex]X,Y \in \mathfrak{h}.[/tex] Prove that the Lie algebras [tex]\mathfrak{g}[/tex] and [tex]\mathfrak{h}[/tex] are isomorphic.

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, is this the definition for (i):

[tex]\varphi[/tex] is a homomorphism if [tex]\varphi [x,y] = [\varphi (x) , \varphi (y) ][/tex] for all [tex]x,y\in\mathfrak{g}\,?[/tex]
What is the definition for (ii)?

For (iii) presumably I first have to show that a mapping [tex]\varphi : \mathfrak{g} \to \mathfrak{h}[/tex] is a homomorphism? If so how do I show [tex]\varphi [x,y] = [\varphi (x) , \varphi (y) ]\,?[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (i), don't you also want to demand that [itex]\phi[/itex] is linear and stuff?? That is, phi should at least be an algebra morphism.

The definition for (ii) is of course that there exists an isomorphism [itex]\phi:\mathfrak{g}\rightarrow \mathfrak{h}[/itex]. That is: a bijective homomorphism such that its inverse is also a homomorphism.

For (iii), let's not do too much first. Let's first try to figure out what the isomorphism is exactly. Any suggestions??

So we need to define some [tex]\varphi[/tex] which is an isomorphism. Could you help me here?

Well, you need to send a basis to a basis. So you need to send E,F and G to a basis. Do you know a basis of those 3x3-matrices?

micromass said:
Well, you need to send a basis to a basis. So you need to send E,F and G to a basis. Do you know a basis of those 3x3-matrices?

[tex]\left\{ \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} , \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} , \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \right\}[/tex]

Last edited:
That is a nice proposal. So we set

[tex]\phi(aE+bF+cG)=\left(\begin{array}{ccc} 0 & a & b\\ 0 & 0 & c\\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

So, some questions remain:
- is it bijective?
- is it linear?
- Does it respect the commutator?

micromass said:
That is a nice proposal. So we set

[tex]\phi(aE+bF+cG)=\left(\begin{array}{ccc} 0 & a & b\\ 0 & 0 & c\\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

So, some questions remain:
- is it bijective?
- is it linear?
- Does it respect the commutator?

Let

[tex]E = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]F = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]G = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Then [tex][E,F] = EF - FE = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} = G[/tex]

[tex][E,G] = EG - GE = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex][F,G] = FG - GF = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Does this show that the commutator is satisfied?

How do you show that [tex]\varphi[/tex] is a homomorphism? How do you show [tex]\varphi [x,y] = [\varphi (x) , \varphi (y) ][/tex] for all [tex]x,y\in\mathfrak{g}\,?[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, take x=aE+bF+cG and take y=a'E+b'F+c'G. Try to work out both

[tex]\varphi [aE+bF+cG,a^\prime E+b^\prime F+c^\prime G][/tex]

and

[tex][\varphi(aE+bF+cG),\varphi(a^\prime E+ b^\prime F+c^\prime G][/tex]

Use the properties of the commutator and the definition of [itex]\varphi[/itex].

micromass said:
Well, take x=aE+bF+cG and take y=a'E+b'F+c'G. Try to work out both

[tex]\varphi [aE+bF+cG,a^\prime E+b^\prime F+c^\prime G][/tex]

and

[tex][\varphi(aE+bF+cG),\varphi(a^\prime E+ b^\prime F+c^\prime G][/tex]

Use the properties of the commutator and the definition of [itex]\varphi[/itex].

OK, so:

[tex]\varphi ( [x,y] ) = \varphi ( xy - yx)[/tex]
[tex]= \varphi \left( \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a' & c' \\ 0 & 0 & b' \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a' & c' \\ 0 & 0 & b' \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \right)[/tex]
[tex]= \varphi \left( \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & ab' - a'b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \right) = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & ab' - a'b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a' & c' \\ 0 & 0 & b' \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a' & c' \\ 0 & 0 & b' \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 0 & a & c \\ 0 & 0 & b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \varphi (x) \varphi (y) - \varphi (y) \varphi (x) = [\varphi (x) , \varphi (y) ][/tex]

Therefore [tex]\varphi[/tex] is a homomorphism?

Ted123 said:
OK, so:

[tex]\varphi ( [x,y] ) = \varphi ( xy - yx)[/tex]

No, since you don't know that [itex][x,y]=xy-yx[/itex]. You know nothing about the Lie bracket in [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex], except [E,F]=G, [E,G]=[F,G]=0. So use these relations to calculate

[tex][aE+bF+cG,a^\prime E+b^\prime F+c^\prime G][/tex]

micromass said:
No, since you don't know that [itex][x,y]=xy-yx[/itex]. You know nothing about the Lie bracket in [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex], except [E,F]=G, [E,G]=[F,G]=0. So use these relations to calculate

[tex][aE+bF+cG,a^\prime E+b^\prime F+c^\prime G][/tex]

OK, so using the bilinearity property of the Lie bracket and the property that [x,x] = 0 for all [tex]x\in\mathfrak{g}[/tex] together with those 3 relations I get:

[tex]\varphi ( [x,y] ) = \varphi ( (ab' - a'b)G ) = \varphi \left( \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & ab' - a'b \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \right)[/tex] and from here the calculation continues like it did in my last attempt.

Does this now show that [tex]\varphi[/tex] is a homomorphism?

micromass said:
Yes, this is ok!

So do I have to show that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is also a linear transformation?

i.e. [itex]\varphi ( x + y) = \varphi (x) + \varphi (y)[/itex] for all [itex]x,y\in\mathfrak{g}[/itex]

and [itex]\varphi (\alpha x) = \alpha \varphi (x)[/itex] for all [itex]\alpha \in\mathbb{C} , x\in\mathfrak{g}\,?[/itex]

Then this shows [itex]\varphi[/itex] is a homomorphism. Then how do I show that it is a bijective map to show [itex]\varphi[/itex] is an isomorphism? After this the question is answered is it not?

Well, try to show that the function is injective and surjective. This is the last thing you need to do.

micromass said:
Well, try to show that the function is injective and surjective. This is the last thing you need to do.

Don't I have to show that it is linear (i.e. a linear transformation) to complete the proof of it being a homomorphism or is this clear already?

Ted123 said:
Don't I have to show that it is linear (i.e. a linear transformation) to complete the proof of it being a homomorphism or is this clear already?

Ah yes! But isn't that trivial?

micromass said:
Ah yes! But isn't that trivial?

Yeah it is.

Did I have to include the bit below in the argument? (Is it correct that I'm using the Lie bracket commutator in h to show that it satisifes the relations in g?)

[tex]E = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]F = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]G = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex][E,F] = EF - FE = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} = G[/tex]

[tex][E,G] = EG - GE = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex][F,G] = FG - GF = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Also are there any theorems that I can appeal to to show that a homomorphism is an isomorphism rather than go through the injective/surjective proofs from first principles? Things like the Group and Ring theory theorems.

Ted123 said:
Yeah it is.

Did I have to include the bit below in the argument? (Is it correct that I'm using the Lie bracket commutator in h to show that it satisifes the relations in g?)

[tex][E,F] = EF - FE = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix} = G[/tex]

Yes, this is good.

Also are there any theorems that I can appeal to to show that a homomorphism is an isomorphism rather than go through the injective/surjective proofs from first principles? Things like the Group and Ring theory theorems.

I suppose there are also isomorphism theorems for Lie algebra's, but they're of no use here. It's very easy to show injective/surjective in this case!

micromass said:
Yes, this is good.

I suppose there are also isomorphism theorems for Lie algebra's, but they're of no use here. It's very easy to show injective/surjective in this case!

Isn't [itex]\varphi[/itex] the identity function?

Ted123 said:
Isn't [itex]\varphi[/itex] the identity function?

No: E,F and G are not matrices in general.

micromass said:
No: E,F and G are not matrices in general.

OK.

There is one further question.

Give an example of a Lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] over the field [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that the dimension of [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] is 3 but [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] is not isomorphic to [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex]. Show that your example meets the required conditions.

Ted123 said:
OK.

There is one further question.

Give an example of a Lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] over the field [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] such that the dimension of [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] is 3 but [itex]\mathfrak{f}[/itex] is not isomorphic to [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex]. Show that your example meets the required conditions.

And, what do you think?

micromass said:
And, what do you think?

Special linear lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{sl}_3(\mathbb{C})\,?[/itex]

Ted123 said:
General linear lie algebra [itex]\mathfrak{gl}_3(\mathbb{C})\,?[/itex]

That doesn't have dimension 3 if I recall correctly.

Try some trivial Lie bracket.

micromass said:
That doesn't have dimension 3 if I recall correctly.

Try some trivial Lie bracket.

How about [itex]\mathbb{C}^3[/itex], the Lie algebra consisting of 3x1 column vectors with entries in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] ?

Ted123 said:
How about [itex]\mathbb{C}^3[/itex], the Lie algebra consisting of 3x1 column vectors with entries in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] ?

With which Lie bracket?

micromass said:
With which Lie bracket?

Commutator: [X,Y] = XY - YX for all [itex]X,Y \in \mathbb{C}^3[/itex]

Ted123 said:
Commutator: [X,Y] = XY - YX for all [itex]X,Y \in \mathbb{C}^3[/itex]

OK, but how is multiplication defined in [itex]\mathbb{C}^3[/itex]??

micromass said:
OK, but how is multiplication defined in [itex]\mathbb{C}^3[/itex]??

Oh yeah, it's not!

Can you suggest a lie bracket that would work?

Ted123 said:
Oh yeah, it's not!

Can you suggest a lie bracket that would work?

Try a very trivial Lie bracket. What's the easiest Lie bracket around??

micromass said:
Try a very trivial Lie bracket. What's the easiest Lie bracket around??

The one that's identically 0

Ted123 said:
The one that's identically 0

Indeed!

Note that this is exactly the Lie algebra of the diagonal 3x3 matrices!

micromass said:
Indeed!

Note that this is exactly the Lie algebra of the diagonal 3x3 matrices!

So [itex]D_3(\mathbb{C})[/itex], the space of all 3x3 diagonal matrices with entries in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] with lie bracket [itex][X,Y]= 0[/itex] for all [itex]X,Y\in D_3(\mathbb{C})[/itex] is not isomorphic to [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex]?

When the question says 'show that your example meets the required conditions' does this mean I have to prove that it has dimension 3 and prove that it is not isomorphic? Would showing that a map from [itex]\mathfrak{f} \to \mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]\mathfrak{f} \to \mathfrak{h}[/itex] defined by something aren't homomorphisms suffice?

Last edited:
Ted123 said:
So [itex]D_3(\mathbb{C})[/itex], the space of all 3x3 diagonal matrices with entries in [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] with lie bracket [itex][X,Y]= 0[/itex] for all [itex]X,Y\in D_3(\mathbb{C})[/itex] is not isomorphic to [itex]\mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]\mathfrak{h}[/itex]?

When the question says 'show that your example meets the required conditions' does this mean I have to prove that it has dimension 3 and prove that it is not isomorphic?

Yes.

Would showing that a map from [itex]\mathfrak{f} \to \mathfrak{g}[/itex] and [itex]\mathfrak{f} \to \mathfrak{h}[/itex] defined by something aren't homomorphisms suffice?
Won't work. There will certainly exist homormorphisms between those Lie algebra's. But there might not exist any isomorphism.

So, take [itex]\varphi[/itex] an isomorphism and try to deduce a contradiction.

micromass said:
Yes.

Won't work. There will certainly exist homormorphisms between those Lie algebra's. But there might not exist any isomorphism.

So, take [itex]\varphi[/itex] an isomorphism and try to deduce a contradiction.

So can I just define mappings [tex]\varphi : \mathfrak{f} \to \mathfrak{g}[/tex] and [tex]\varphi : \mathfrak{f} \to \mathfrak{h}[/tex] in any way, assume they are isomorphisms and contradict this by showing the lie bracket isn't preseved?

But if I did this, I could do this with lie algebras which are isomorphic, assume I have a mapping that is an isomorphism (even though it isn't) and contradict the assumption. I need to show that there exist no isomorphisms at all between the lie algebras don't I?

Back