QFT books that discuss Infra-red dimensional regularization?

In summary, infra-red dimensional regularization is a technique used in quantum field theory to handle divergences in calculations involving infrared (IR) singularities. It involves extending the dimensionality of space-time from four to a higher value, which allows for the cancellation of IR divergences. This technique is used because many QFT calculations involve IR singularities, which can result in infinite results. IR dimensional regularization specifically targets these singularities and differs from other regularization techniques such as UV dimensional regularization. However, it has limitations and may not always provide physically meaningful results. Several QFT books, including "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder, cover this topic.
petergreat
I learned QFT by reading Peskin & Schroeder, and now find myself unfamiliar with dimensional regularization of IR divergences which is prevalent in the literature. Are there good QFT books which discusses IR dim. reg.? I understand the general idea of going to more than 4 dimensions as opposed to less than 4 dimensions for UV regularization, but I want to see explicitly worked out examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I see a couple of online references.. Smirnov. Also Leibbrandt, which talks about IR in Sect IV.B

FAQ: QFT books that discuss Infra-red dimensional regularization?

1. What is infra-red dimensional regularization?

Infra-red dimensional regularization is a technique used in quantum field theory to handle divergences in calculations involving infrared (IR) singularities. It involves extending the dimensionality of space-time from four to a higher value, which allows for the cancellation of IR divergences.

2. Why is IR dimensional regularization used in QFT?

IR dimensional regularization is used in QFT because many calculations involve IR singularities, which can make the results of the calculations infinite. By extending the dimensionality of space-time, IR dimensional regularization allows for these infinities to be cancelled out, resulting in finite and physically meaningful results.

3. How does IR dimensional regularization differ from other regularization techniques?

IR dimensional regularization differs from other regularization techniques in that it specifically targets IR singularities. Other regularization techniques, such as UV dimensional regularization, focus on handling ultraviolet (UV) singularities. Additionally, IR dimensional regularization involves extending the dimensionality of space-time, while other techniques may involve manipulating the equations in other ways.

4. Are there any limitations to using IR dimensional regularization?

Yes, there are limitations to using IR dimensional regularization. One limitation is that it cannot be used in all cases, as there are some calculations where it may not be applicable. Additionally, it may not always provide physically meaningful results and may require further modifications or combinations with other techniques to achieve accurate results.

5. Which QFT books discuss IR dimensional regularization?

Several QFT books discuss IR dimensional regularization, including "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder, "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz, and "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki. Other books may also cover this topic, so it is best to consult a variety of sources when studying QFT and IR dimensional regularization.