Question about a key in the ti-89

• Calculators
  • Thread starter kevinf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-89
In summary, the conversation discusses the use and meaning of the diamond + stor -> key and @ symbol in computations. The participants suggest checking the manual or company website for more information. The TI89 manual defines @ as an arbitrary integer and explains its use in consecutive numbering.
kevinf
i am having trouble finding out what the diamond + stor -> key do. i don't know what that symbol means

Computer science news on Phys.org
anybody know what this key means?

Don't you have a manual for it? :confused:
If not, maybe try out the company's website help section. Personally, I've never even seen one of those devices.

I've seen the @ symbol a few times when I do certain computations. @ indicates an arbitrary integer and the TI89 manual has also given @ the name arbitrary. Here is what the TI89 manual (pg. 80; Symbolic Manipulation) had to say:
When an arbitrary
integer occurs multiple
times in the same
session, each
occurrence is numbered
consecutively. After it
reaches 255, arbitrary
integer consecutive
numbering restarts at
@n0. Use Clean Up
2:NewProb to reset to
@n1.
ˆ

FAQ: Question about a key in the ti-89

1. What is the purpose of the key in the ti-89 calculator?

The key in the ti-89 calculator serves as a shortcut to access various mathematical functions and operations. It allows users to perform basic and complex calculations quickly and efficiently.

2. How do I use the key in the ti-89 calculator?

To use the key in the ti-89 calculator, simply press the desired key on the calculator's keypad. Each key corresponds to a specific function or operation, which is typically listed above or below the key.

3. Can I customize the functions assigned to the keys in the ti-89 calculator?

Yes, the ti-89 calculator allows users to customize the functions assigned to the keys. This can be done through the "Custom" menu option, which allows users to assign their own functions or operations to specific keys.

4. What are some common functions assigned to the keys in the ti-89 calculator?

Some common functions assigned to the keys in the ti-89 calculator include basic arithmetic operations (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), trigonometric functions, logarithms, and exponents. The calculator also has keys for solving equations, graphing, and programming.

5. Is the key in the ti-89 calculator necessary for performing calculations?

No, the key in the ti-89 calculator is not necessary for performing calculations. Users can also access the same functions and operations through the calculator's menus and submenus. However, the key provides a quicker and more convenient way to access these functions.