Random Thoughts 7

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • #1,016
WWGD said:
By what account is Covid still a major issue?
Still comes up in news reports. Summer surge we've been informed; and revised vaccines now being issued. Enough to convince me. I do not currently know the general data on hospitalizations and deaths.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
WWGD said:
Wow, pickpocketing, tourist theft still a major issue. Some have taken it onto themselves to fight them, take them on in several YT channels.

While I don't wish to undermine any real threats (pickpocketing and tourist theft do in fact occur, unfortunately), some YouTube videos of such things are staged. Maybe (certainly) not all, but some.

(Why would anybody stage a theft and post it to YouTube? I don't know. Pick a reason. It's a lot easier to stage an altercation than stumble upon a real one, I suppose.)

I guess my point is that when watching such videos, keep a skeptical eye open.

Likes BillTre and WWGD
  • #1,018
collinsmark said:
While I don't wish to undermine any real threats (pickpocketing and tourist theft do in fact occur, unfortunately), some YouTube videos of such things are staged. Maybe (certainly) not all, but some.

(Why would anybody stage a theft and post it to YouTube? I don't know. Pick a reason. It's a lot easier to stage an altercation than stumble upon a real one, I suppose.)

I guess my point is that when watching such videos, keep a skeptical eye open.
Valid point, but these didn't seem staged, as, among other things, local authorities were involved, and I verified they were the real ones.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,019
I went to a performance with my wife on Friday of an ABBA tribute band. Now I know what Matt Damon's character felt like. Thankfully the performance ended after two hours.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and BillTre
  • #1,020
Borg said:
I went to a performance with my wife on Friday of an ABBA tribute band. Now I know what Matt Damon's character felt like. Thankfully the performance ended after two hours.

Mama mia!

• #1,021
I will be taking an overnight+ trip. I was planning to take some Baking Soda with me that I use in a relaxing potion. But I worry I don't look conventional/mainstream enough to get away with carrying a bag of white powder with me.

• #1,023
Astronuc said:
Oops! Delta flight (DL295, an A350) clips another plane (Endeavor Air, Flight 5526, a CRJ-900) on taxiway at Atlanta airport, knocks off smaller plane's tail

https://news.yahoo.com/delta-flight-clips-another-plane-154200687.html
Communications with Ground Control:

According to one of the comments, the tail falling off is a standard CRJ threat response - it distracts the A350 so the CRJ can escape. 😁

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Astronuc
  • #1,024
Tallk about 'breaking news'. It looks like the CRJ didn't stop close enough to the hold-short line to provide clearance to the A350.

Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #1,026
Ok, it was a German guy using the term " Tron Script". Don't blame me for thinking he was talking about "transcript".

• #1,027
Rock Used as Doorstop For Decades Turns Out to Be Worth Over $1 Million
a chunk of 'rock' used to keep a door open for decades is a treasure by pretty much any metric you might care to use.

The 3.5 kilogram (7.7 pound) stone was found in a stream bed in southeast Romania by an elderly woman, who brought it home and put it to use.

Her discovery turned out to be one of the biggest intact chunks of amber in the world, according to a report by El Pais. Its value? Somewhere in the region of €1 million – around $US1.1 million.

Amber is tree resin from millions of years in the past. Over time, the highly viscous substance fossilizes into a hard, warm-hued material widely recognized as a gemstone.

In Romania, pieces of amber can be found around the village of Colti in sandstone from the banks of the River Buzau, where it has been mined since the 1920s. Known as rumanite, this amber is famed and prized for its wide array of deep, reddish hues.

After the woman died in 1991, the relative who inherited her home suspected the doorstop might be more than meets the eye. On learning what he had, he sold the amber to the Romanian state, which had it appraised by experts at the Museum of History in Krakow in Poland.

According to these experts, the amber is likely between around 38 and 70 million years old.

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, jack action, Borg and 1 other person
  • #1,030
Borg said:
I didn't see the collision video on that link but this shows it from the tower camera.
I believe it is the same video. In the video on Yahoo, it may have been cropped. It appears at the top of the video envelope.

Good to have strong wings!

The A350 clearly needs more clearance at some airports, or ground traffic control needs to be aware of clearances and hold points as planes taxi through congested airports.

It would help to have cameras on the top of the tail looking forward, and perhaps on the tips of the wings looking forward.

Likes Borg
  • #1,031
Astronuc said:
It would help to have cameras on the top of the tail looking forward, and perhaps on the tips of the wings looking forward.
Or rearview mirrors! :biggrin:

Some fighter jets have them:

main-qimg-5c19ef22d34becbf1200eccc44f174ea.jpg

Since a very long time:

main-qimg-259729b5ed6313421e4b7633fd2eff66.jpg

Very long time:

main-qimg-784370a6d01c588863de69ce943f6f26-lq.jpg

Also common for towing gliders or banners:

main-qimg-4e1be8898917f2cec68895b1b44629a7-c.jpg

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and WWGD
  • #1,032
jack action said:
Or rearview mirrors!
Rear view cameras now. The rear view mirrors on the outside of the cockpit were removed from the Spitfires because they caused too much drag. The would limit the range and top speed.

Video from a set of cameras (optimally placed) would help in incident/accident investigations.

• #1,033
How to blow up one's career.

Norfolk Southern CEO fired for ‘consensual relationship’ with railroad’s chief legal officer
https://news.yahoo.com/news/finance/news/norfolk-southern-ceo-fired-consensual-002214975.html
Norfolk Southern CEO Alan Shaw was fired for cause by the railroad’s board for “engaging in a consensual relationship with the company’s chief legal officer,” who was also terminated, the railroad announced Wednesday evening.

A statement from the company on Wednesday said that Shaw had been dismissed “for cause,” which could prevent him from collecting the kind of exit package that CEOs often receive when shown the door.

• #1,034
The thing about the ( flip side of the ) Dunning-Krueger club ( YouTube discussions) is , you don't know you're part of the Dunning-Krueger club.

• #1,035
1726502952840.png

Likes Astronuc, OmCheeto and BillTre
  • #1,036
Hmm, I was seeing an ad for " When Animals Attack". I can imagine finishing my day eating wings, with an ice-cold beer, watching a snake swallowing up a rabbit whole. Edit: I wonder if it was intended as a joke.

Last edited:
  • #1,037
Ok, I've gotten into the bad habit of getting into debates in YT, which I'm trying to discipline myself to stop doing. Still, I think I've come up with a good line before leaving any exchange: " Send regards to Mr Dunning and Mr Kruger ".

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,038
WWGD said:
Ok, I've gotten into the bad habit of getting into debates in YT, which I'm trying to discipline myself to stop doing. Still, I think I've come up with a good line before leaving any exchange: " Send regards to Mr Dunning and Mr Kruger ".
I quite like watching"reaction videos."
Music, films and TV series.
The arguments probably stopped with COVID dying down. They may start up again with the Texas education curriculum discussion.
It is education so pf friendly but the content is very not!

Likes WWGD
  • #1,039
pinball1970 said:
I quite like watching"reaction videos."
Music, films and TV series.
The arguments probably stopped with COVID dying down. They may start up again with the Texas education curriculum discussion.
It is education so pf friendly but the content is very not!
There are a few oasis about. Mostly Math, Science sites. Few and far in between.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,040
symbolipoint said:
Still comes up in news reports. Summer surge we've been informed; and revised vaccines now being issued. Enough to convince me. I do not currently know the general data on hospitalizations and deaths.
According to my data collecting, we are in our 10th surge. And although this surge started in 2nd place behind the obvious 1st round of covid, it's the 2nd longest run:

1726621768194.png

I saw the other day that covid is currently the 6th leading cause of death, though I cannot find the reference. A minor googling and some fishy maths indicates that it's the 9th leading cause of death.

Leading causes of death
covid deaths plus my 'nowcasting' factor of 2.5

hmmm....
Looking back at my 2020 analysis of where covid could go, and our current trend hit 100 deaths per day around the 1st of August and is was twice that on about the 10th of September which is about 5ish weeks so eyeballing that it looks like if this keeps up then covid will be back at the top of the news in not too many weeks.

1726624134685.png

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, collinsmark and 1 other person
  • #1,041

Likes pinball1970 and Borg
  • #1,042
I rarely hear the word ' eschew'. But when I do, I pretend not to and ask the speaker to repeat it a couple of times. Then I say ' Gesundheit'.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
  • #1,043
Your PSA for today...

• Wow
  • Love
Likes pinball1970, Borg, OmCheeto and 1 other person
  • #1,044
berkeman said:
Your PSA for today...

Around _ their_ or other people's children?

• #1,045
Yearly MOT with nurse on Thursday and she spoke to me like I was a naughty 9 year old.
My diet is not good enough.
Too much alcohol.
Not enough exercise.
Must get BMI down.
BP too high.
Shake your inhaler before use!

Drs yesterday and he spoke to me like an equal, complete opposite.
SAN function and referred pain from my sigmoid colon, thoracic pathologies...

A hypothesis, she just needs data and make sure I understand what i need to do to improve. Stop acting like an idiot.
Dr WANTS me to think I am idiot by totally blinding me with science so I trust him.

Last edited:
Likes Ibix, WWGD and BillTre
  • #1,046
pinball1970 said:
Yearly MOT with nurse on Thursday and she spoke to me like I was a naughty 9 year old.
My diet is not good enough.
Too much alcohol.
Not enough exercise.
Must get BMI down.
BP too high.

Drs yesterday and he spoke to me like an equal, complete opposite.
SAN function and referred pain from my sigmoid colon, thoracic pathologies...

A hypothesis, she just needs data and make sure I understand what i need to do to improve. Stop acting like an idiot.
Dr WANTS me to think I am idiot by totally blinding me with a science so I trust him.
Its the old Good Medicalist/Bad Medicalist.

• Haha
Likes berkeman, Borg and pinball1970
  • #1,047
WWGD said:
Around _ their_ or other people's children?
Both. I taught my kids gun safety from a young age, but the guns in our house were always locked up. :smile:

Likes pinball1970 and WWGD
  • #1,048
Super, extra, mega new knife can cut through any food, meats, even metal.....and your fingers. If you're not going to use it for cooking, cutting metals, how about your wife, or other relative? Er, no, thanks, I'm not Jeffrey Dahmer.

Last edited:
  • #1,049
pinball1970 said:
We recently had a talk about writing stuff to be read by the general public which said that you should assume a reading age of 12. Some of it will be issues with second languages, but some of it is just a terrifyingly low educational standard. I suspect the nurse is pitching it low because she knows a not-insignificant fraction of the population won't even understand what she's asking them to do if she throws out remotely complex language.

Likes pinball1970
  • #1,050
pinball1970 said:
It depends on the inhaler, but in general yeah. Sounds like good advice to me. :wink: