Range of a linear transformation to power n

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the range of a square matrix A to the power of n+1 is a subspace of the range of A to the power of n, for all n >= 1. The conversation mentions using the hint A^{n+1}x = A^n(Ax) and proving that the kernel of A^n is a subspace of the kernel of A^(n+1). The conversation also suggests proving that the range of A is always a subspace of the domain of A.
Lostmant

Homework Statement

How to prove that: the range of a square matrix A (linear transformation) to the power of n+1 is a subspace of the Range of A to the power n, for all n >= 1?

i.e. Range (A^(n+1)) is a subspace of Range (A^n)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove that Kernal (A^n) is a subspace of Kernal (A^(n+1)). Not sure if this is the basis of the prove.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

[tex]A^{n+1}x = A^n(Ax)[/tex]

Thank you jbunniii. Using the hint you gave me I could prove that Kernal (A^n) is a subspace of Kernal (A^(n+1)), because A^n(A(0)) = 0. but what about range? I think if i could prove the range of A is always a subspace of domain of A, then i am done. How to prove this? Thanks.

If y is in the range of [itex]A^{n+1}[/itex], then by definition,

[tex]y = A^{n+1}x[/tex]

for some x.

But

[tex]y = A^n(Ax)[/tex]

So what does that imply?

Got it. Thanks so much.

FAQ: Range of a linear transformation to power n

1. What is the range of a linear transformation to power n?

The range of a linear transformation to power n is the set of all possible outputs that can be obtained from the transformation when the inputs are raised to the power n. In other words, it is the set of all possible values that the transformation can produce when the inputs are multiplied by themselves n times.

2. How is the range of a linear transformation to power n determined?

The range of a linear transformation to power n can be determined by finding all possible outputs for a given set of inputs, and then taking those outputs to the power n. The resulting set of values is the range of the transformation.

3. Can the range of a linear transformation to power n be infinite?

Yes, the range of a linear transformation to power n can be infinite if the transformation is applied to an infinite set of inputs. This is because the transformation can produce an infinite number of outputs when the inputs are raised to the power n.

4. How does the range of a linear transformation to power n relate to the dimension of the vector space?

The range of a linear transformation to power n is a subset of the vector space on which the transformation is defined. The dimension of the vector space determines the number of inputs that the transformation can be applied to, and thus affects the size and potential infinite nature of the range.

5. Can the range of a linear transformation to power n be empty?

Yes, the range of a linear transformation to power n can be empty if the transformation is not defined for any inputs, or if the inputs are all raised to the power n result in a set of values that is empty. In this case, the range of the transformation would be an empty set.

Back