Rotating wheel with kinetic friction

In summary, The conversation is about a kinetic problem involving belts friction. The person is stuck on what to do because all their other problems have dealt with static. They are unsure about how to approach the problem and ask for help. Another person suggests finding the normal force per length and doing a free body diagram.
bradycat
Hi,
The problem attached is a kinetic problem.
problem # 50.
This is from belts friction that this question is from.

All my other problems have dealt with static, and now with kinetic, I am stuck on what to do.

There is no impending motion that I know. Would I take the rope with the 45 degree angle as TL, and T=15 lbs as Ts?,

I do a moment on the pin of the wheel, and if so, not sure where to begin with that one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Joanne

Attachments

• problem 50.jpg
    problem 50.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Joanne! :smile:

You need to find the normal force per length, then multiply it by the length and by µ (and then by r for the torque ) …

do a free body diagram for a small bit of rope of length r dθ to find the normal force :wink:

FAQ: Rotating wheel with kinetic friction

1. What is a rotating wheel with kinetic friction?

A rotating wheel with kinetic friction refers to a wheel that is rotating while experiencing frictional forces, which are forces that oppose the motion of the wheel.

2. How does kinetic friction affect the rotation of a wheel?

Kinetic friction acts in the opposite direction of the wheel's motion, causing it to slow down and eventually stop if there is no external force applied.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction on a rotating wheel?

The amount of kinetic friction on a rotating wheel is affected by the weight of the wheel, the surface it is rotating on, and the coefficient of friction between the wheel and the surface.

4. Can kinetic friction be beneficial for a rotating wheel?

Yes, in some cases kinetic friction can be beneficial for a rotating wheel. For example, it can help a car's tires grip the road and prevent slipping.

5. How can you reduce the effects of kinetic friction on a rotating wheel?

The effects of kinetic friction on a rotating wheel can be reduced by using a lubricant on the surface or by reducing the weight of the wheel. Additionally, using materials with a lower coefficient of friction can also help reduce the effects of kinetic friction.

Back