Sailboat in the wind problem. (Kinematics) Conceptual question.

In summary, the sailboat is traveling east at 5.0 m/s and is accelerated to a velocity north of east. If you want to find the direction of the velocity, you need to use the displacement vector rather than the velocity vector. The displacement vector and velocity vector will have the same direction, but the angle will be different if the acceleration lasts for a different amount of time.
Sentience

Homework Statement

A sailboat is traveling east at 5.0 m/s. A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration a =(0.80 m/s^2 and 40 degrees north of east).

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at
X - Xo = Vo*t + .5at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I ended up getting the correct answer of 9.21 m/s, 19.6 degrees north of east.

However, the first several times when I tried to calculate the direction part of the vector, I found the angle by solving for the final positions of x and y and solving for the angle in that triangle. (Instead of using the x and y velocity components to solve for the angle).

I guess conceptually I don't understand why I have to use the velocity x and y components instead of the final positions of x and y to find direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sentience said:

Homework Statement

A sailboat is traveling east at 5.0 m/s. A sudden gust of wind gives the boat an acceleration a =(0.80 m/s^2 and 40 degrees north of east).

Homework Equations

V = Vo + at
X - Xo = Vo*t + .5at^2
V^2 = Vo^2 + 2a(X - Xo)

I ended up getting the correct answer of 9.21 m/s, 19.6 degrees north of east.

However, the first several times when I tried to calculate the direction part of the vector, I found the angle by solving for the final positions of x and y and solving for the angle in that triangle. (Instead of using the x and y velocity components to solve for the angle).

I guess conceptually I don't understand why I have to use the velocity x and y components instead of the final positions of x and y to find direction.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Because you're looking for the direction of the velocity, not the displacement. In this case, both the displacement vector and velocity vector will have the same direction (if you take the starting point to be x = 0 and y = 0 for displacement).

You were one arbitrary decision away from getting the wrong answer by using displacement. What if I said the origin was x = 0 y = 100 trillion? Then, the final position would be x = something small and y = ~100 trillion. The angle would be ~90 degrees.

If you instead find the angle of the velocity vector directly, you always get the right answer.

tedbradly said:
).

You were one arbitrary decision away from getting the wrong answer by using displacement. What if I said the origin was x = 0 y = 100 trillion? Then, the final position would be x = something small and y = ~100 trillion. The angle would be ~90 degrees.

If you instead find the angle of the velocity vector directly, you always get the right answer.

Actually, I think the boat starts going east and then gets accelerated over time to a velocity north of east, so it will go in a curve, and the direction will be in a different direction as the displacement.
I think the problem statement lacks the amount of time that the acceleration lasts.

willem2 said:
Actually, I think the boat starts going east and then gets accelerated over time to a velocity north of east, so it will go in a curve, and the direction will be in a different direction as the displacement.
I think the problem statement lacks the amount of time that the acceleration lasts.

I see. Yes, thank you.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concept behind the equations and how they relate to the problem at hand. In this case, we can use the equations of kinematics to solve for the final velocity and position of the sailboat after the gust of wind. However, the direction of the sailboat's velocity is not determined by its final position, but rather by its velocity components in the x and y directions. This is because the sailboat's direction is determined by the direction in which it is moving, not its final position. Therefore, to accurately determine the direction of the sailboat's velocity, we must use the velocity components in the x and y directions. This allows us to understand the direction in which the sailboat is traveling and how it is affected by the gust of wind. By using the correct approach, we can ensure that our calculations are accurate and our understanding of the problem is clear.

Related to Sailboat in the wind problem. (Kinematics) Conceptual question.

1. What is the "sailboat in the wind problem"?

The "sailboat in the wind problem" is a classic physics problem that involves the motion of a sailboat in a steady wind. It is used to illustrate concepts of kinematics, which is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the key variables in the sailboat in the wind problem?

The key variables in the sailboat in the wind problem include the wind speed and direction, the sailboat's speed and direction, and the angle of the sail relative to the wind. These variables affect the boat's motion and can be used to calculate its velocity and acceleration.

3. How does the angle of the sail affect the sailboat's motion?

The angle of the sail relative to the wind is crucial in determining the sailboat's motion. If the sail is perpendicular to the wind, the boat will not move forward. As the angle decreases, the boat will start to move forward, and the lower the angle, the faster the boat will go.

4. What is the difference between velocity and speed in the sailboat in the wind problem?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are different concepts. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only represents the magnitude of an object's motion. In the sailboat in the wind problem, the velocity takes into account the direction of the boat's motion, while the speed does not.

5. How does the wind speed affect the sailboat's velocity?

The wind speed plays a significant role in determining the sailboat's velocity. A stronger wind will provide more force on the sail, increasing the boat's velocity. However, at a certain point, the wind speed can become too strong, causing the sail to overpower the boat and potentially capsize it. The wind speed also affects the angle of the sail, as a stronger wind may require a smaller angle to achieve the desired velocity.

Back