Sensitivity Indices: Compute Normalized Forward SI for r,a

In summary, the normalized forward sensitivity indices for the internal equilibrium with respect to r and a are 12/343 and -16/49.
shft600

Homework Statement

Consider the population model with dx/dt=rx(1-x)-ax/(1+x). Compute the normalized forward sensitivity indices of the (positive) internal equilibrium with respect to r and a. The default parameter values are r=4, a=3.

Homework Equations

SI(x,t)=(∂x/∂t)*(t/u)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to begin on this. I first followed the SI formula above, taking the partial's from the given problem with respect to r, then again with a. After that I input the r and a values, getting
SI(r)=4(1-x)
and
SI(a)=-3/(1+x)
The problem is, I literally have no idea if I'm even approaching the problem right. Should I be solving for some equilibrium first? I tried that and ended up with x*=1-sqrt(a/r), but that gets so completely messy when it comes time to take the partial derivatives that I can't believe a second year math course would ask me to do this for homework.

Anybody have any insight at all? Honestly, anything. The examples given in class always had more information, and were brutally simple.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's find the internal equilibrium by setting dx/dt=0 and solving for x:

0 = rx(1-x)-ax/(1+x)
0 = x(r(1-x)-a/(1+x))
0 = x(r-rx-a)
x = r/(r+a)

Now, let's find the partial derivatives of x with respect to r and a:

∂x/∂r = a/(r+a)^2
∂x/∂a = -rx/(r+a)^2

Next, we can plug in the default parameter values (r=4, a=3) and the internal equilibrium (x=4/7) into the sensitivity index formula:

SI(r) = (∂x/∂r)*(t/u) = (3/49)*(4/7) = 12/343
SI(a) = (∂x/∂a)*(t/u) = (-4/7)*(4/7) = -16/49

Therefore, the normalized forward sensitivity indices for the internal equilibrium with respect to r and a are 12/343 and -16/49, respectively.

FAQ: Sensitivity Indices: Compute Normalized Forward SI for r,a

1. What are sensitivity indices?

Sensitivity indices are statistical measures used to assess the relative importance of input variables in a mathematical model. They indicate how much the output of the model is influenced by variations in each input variable.

2. How are sensitivity indices computed?

Sensitivity indices are typically computed using a method called "normalized forward sensitivity analysis", which involves varying each input variable one at a time and measuring the resulting change in the model output. These values are then normalized to account for differences in the scales of the input variables.

3. What is the purpose of computing normalized forward sensitivity indices?

The purpose of computing sensitivity indices is to identify which input variables have the greatest influence on the output of a model. This information can be used to prioritize model development and testing efforts, as well as to gain a better understanding of the underlying relationships between the input and output variables.

4. How are sensitivity indices interpreted?

Sensitivity indices are typically expressed as a percentage, with higher values indicating a stronger influence on the model output. A sensitivity index of 0% means that the input variable has no influence on the output, while a sensitivity index of 100% means that the output is entirely determined by that input variable.

5. Can sensitivity indices be used to compare different models?

Yes, sensitivity indices can be used to compare the relative importance of input variables in different models. However, it is important to note that sensitivity indices are specific to the model being analyzed and may not be directly comparable between models with different structures or input variables.

Back