Should an undergrad visit math departments?

• Thread starter ECmathstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, the speaker explains their background of struggling with grades before switching to a math major, but having success in some courses and getting a job through a professor. They express their newfound love for math, particularly number theory, and mention their concern about starting to impress graduate schools early. They also mention potentially visiting their dream school, McGill, to make a good impression, but are unsure if it's appropriate. They don't want to come off as overbearing or desperate.
ECmathstudent
I've only done it once when I was in town visiting a friend. I guess explaining my situation should give context, my grades before switching to a math major were sub-par(and by that I mean terrible); I did well in a couple of courses, one with the dept. chair and he helped me get a job this summer with an incredible prof. at my department despite the fact I didn't get NSERC funding. The summer went great after a rough start and my advisor thinks I'll have a paper or two to publish this year, and I've totally fallen in love with math. I'm super interested in number theory just from the exposure you get to it from group/ring theory, discrete math and real analysis.

I showed up at the nearest school with a graduate dept. while in town visiting a friend, and ended up talking to the chair of the department since he researches number theory. He was incredibly friendly, but I'm almost worried I committed a faux-pas; I have 2 years left of undergrad, and I'm not sure if it's too early to start sucking up to grad schools(and I'm aware of the fact that I'll probably need to).

I'm going to be visiting my friend who goes to my dream school, Mcgill, in the winter semester. Is it kosher to visit, or should I just leave it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to make a good impression, but I don't want to seem overbearing or desperate.

FAQ: Should an undergrad visit math departments?

1. Should I visit math departments as an undergraduate?

Yes, it is highly recommended that undergraduates visit math departments if they are interested in pursuing a career in mathematics. Visiting math departments can provide valuable insights into the academic and research opportunities available, as well as the culture and atmosphere of the department.

2. How can visiting a math department benefit me?

Visiting a math department can benefit you in several ways. It can give you a better understanding of the faculty, courses offered, and research opportunities available. It can also help you make connections with professors and other students, which can be valuable for networking and future opportunities.

3. When is the best time to visit math departments as an undergraduate?

The best time to visit math departments as an undergraduate is during the academic year, preferably when classes are in session. This will give you a better sense of the department's daily activities and interactions between faculty and students. It is also recommended to visit multiple times, as each visit may provide different insights.

4. How should I prepare for a visit to a math department?

Before visiting a math department, it is important to do some research and have a general understanding of the department's faculty, courses, and research areas. You should also prepare questions to ask during your visit and bring a notebook to take notes. It is also recommended to dress professionally and be on time for any scheduled meetings.

5. Can I visit a math department if I am not a math major?

Yes, anyone can visit a math department, regardless of their major. In fact, visiting a math department can be beneficial for students in other fields who may be interested in incorporating math into their studies or pursuing a minor or double major in math. It can also provide a different perspective and enhance interdisciplinary learning.