Showing the GLB of the union is the same as the min of the GLBs

• Thread starter k3k3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Union
In summary, if A and B are non-empty bounded sets of real numbers, then the infimum of A union B is equal to the min{infA,infB}.
k3k3

Homework Statement

Let A and B be non-empty bounded sets of real numbers.
Show the infimum of A union B is equal to the min{infA,infB}

Homework Equations

If a set is bounded below, a set called S for example, there exists a number N such that x≥N for all x in S

And if S is bounded below, then there exists a number α such that α is a lower bound of S and there is no number greater than it that is a lower bound.

The Attempt at a Solution

Show that the inf(AB) = min{infA,infB}

Since A and B are subets of AB, then the set, A or B, that has the smallest greatest upper bound is clearly the one that is the the result of the minimum function.

Since A union B is the entirety of both sets, the greatest upper bound will be the one from the set that contains the smallest value.

I am thinking that I need to break it up into cases when infA ≤ infB and infA > infB and some how link that to the inf(A union B).

If infA ≤ infB
Then A has the smallest greatest upper bound. When you find the infimum of A union B, it will have to be A because A is a subset of A union B.

If infA = infB then the set A=B, then A union B = A = B

If infA > infB, then use the same argument but replace A with B and vice versa.

Showing this properly is the issue I am running into. Any tips on which direction I should go in proving this?

Physics news on Phys.org
k3k3 said:

Homework Statement

Show the infimum of A union B is equal to the min{infA,infB}

Homework Equations

If a set is bounded below, a set called S for example, there exists a number N such that x≥N for all x in S

And if S is bounded below, then there exists a number α such that α is a lower bound of S and there is no number greater than it that is a lower bound.

The Attempt at a Solution

Show that the inf(AB) = min{infA,infB}

Since A and B are subets of AB, then the set, A or B, that has the smallest greatest upper bound is clearly the one that is the the result of the minimum function.

Since A union B is the entirety of both sets, the greatest upper bound will be the one from the set that contains the smallest value.

I am thinking that I need to break it up into cases when infA ≤ infB and infA > infB and some how link that to the inf(A union B).

If infA ≤ infB
Then A has the smallest greatest upper bound. When you find the infimum of A union B, it will have to be A because A is a subset of A union B.

If infA = infB then the set A=B, then A union B = A = B

If infA > infB, then use the same argument but replace A with B and vice versa.

Showing this properly is the issue I am running into. Any tips on which direction I should go in proving this?

let d = min{inf(A),inf(B)}.

step 1 should involve showing that d is "a" lower bound for AUB. so given x in AUB, you need to show that d ≤ x. i would "use cases" like so:

1) if inf(A) < inf(B), then for any b in B, inf(A) < b, and for any a in A, inf(A) ≤ a (since inf(A) is a lower bound for A). now if x is in AUB, either:

a) x is in B
b) x is not in B, so x is in A. draw appropriate conclusions accordingly.

2) otherwise, inf(B) ≤ inf(A) and...this should be similar to (1) above.

step 2 should involve you choosing some y such that d < y, and y is a lower bound for AUB. derive a contradiction (hint: show y cannot be less than both inf(A) and inf(B)).

Sorry for the late response. Thank you for the help! I think I got it now.

Related to Showing the GLB of the union is the same as the min of the GLBs

1. What is "Showing the GLB of the union is the same as the min of the GLBs"?

"Showing the GLB of the union is the same as the min of the GLBs" is a mathematical concept that states that the greatest lower bound of a union of sets is equal to the minimum of the greatest lower bounds of each individual set.

2. Why is it important to show that the GLB of the union is the same as the min of the GLBs?

It is important to show this because it helps us understand and prove properties of sets and their elements. It also allows us to make deductions and draw conclusions about the elements in a set based on their greatest lower bounds.

3. How is this concept relevant in the field of science?

This concept is relevant in science as it is used to analyze and compare data sets. It is commonly used in fields such as statistics, physics, and computer science to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data.

4. Can you provide an example of how this concept is applied in real life?

One example of this concept being applied in real life is in market research. A company may want to determine the minimum price that they can sell a product for while still maintaining a profit. They can use the GLB of the union of different data sets, such as production costs and consumer demand, to calculate the minimum price.

5. What are some potential challenges in proving that the GLB of the union is the same as the min of the GLBs?

Some potential challenges in proving this concept include understanding the mathematical definitions of greatest lower bound and union, as well as properly applying logical reasoning and proof techniques. Additionally, the complexity of the sets being compared may make it difficult to come to a definitive conclusion.