Signal Processing Vs Machine Learning as a career

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between pursuing a masters in signal processing or machine learning, and the pros and cons of each in terms of job opportunities, mathematical complexity, and personal interests. The speaker expresses a preference for signal processing due to their passion for mathematics and interest in practical applications, but acknowledges that both fields can be equally theoretical and mathematically complex. Ultimately, it is suggested to choose the field that excites the individual the most.
joebevo
Hello,

I have an undergraduate degree in EE and I have a passion for mathematics. I'm trying to decide if I should do a masters in signal processing or machine learning. What are the pros and cons of each given the way the industry is? (I live in Bangalore, the tech capital of India, where there are tons of software companies).

I have liked what I've seen of signal processing so far, but my concern is that there may not be as many signal processing jobs as there may be machine learning jobs in my neck of the woods, since ML is primarily software based. The last thing I want to do is complete a masters in signal processing and end up doing generic coding in some nondescript software company. Or I could hedge my bets and do signal processing for embedded systems (there are lots of those companies around here), but this may not go into the details of signal processing.

So, to summarize: Which of these areas is more mathematical? Which has better career prospects? Which has more elegant theory? These are my main criteria for deciding between the two.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my personal point of view, cubicle farms are terrible places to work. I like to put my hands on things. But I'm not sure you feel the same way.

However, you seem to be seeking a more "mathematical" field. News flash: they can both be as theoretical and mathematically complex as you'd like them to be. Personally, I would tend toward the signal processing side of things, but I am very biased because I am a ham radio enthusiast. I think silly impractical applications, such as recovering a signal reflected off of the moon, are really cool.

Neverthless, there is a broader perspective, please see post #20 in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=739971&page=2

If I were in your place, I would choose the field that excites me the most. I don't know much about machine learning algorithms, but I do know that signal processing and information theory can be wonderfully complex, beautiful and fascinating.

Related to Signal Processing Vs Machine Learning as a career

1. What is the main difference between signal processing and machine learning as a career?

Signal processing focuses on analyzing and manipulating signals such as audio, images, and data to extract relevant information. Machine learning involves developing algorithms and models that can learn from data and make predictions or decisions without being explicitly programmed. In short, signal processing is more about data analysis while machine learning is more about developing intelligent systems.

2. Which field offers more job opportunities, signal processing or machine learning?

Both signal processing and machine learning are rapidly growing fields with high demand for skilled professionals. However, machine learning is a more recent and rapidly expanding field, which may offer more job opportunities in the future.

3. Do signal processing and machine learning require different skill sets?

Yes, although there is some overlap in skills, signal processing and machine learning require different skill sets. Signal processing requires strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as knowledge of digital signal processing techniques and tools. Machine learning, on the other hand, requires a strong foundation in statistics, programming, and machine learning algorithms.

4. Can I pursue a career in both signal processing and machine learning?

Yes, it is possible to have a career in both signal processing and machine learning. Many companies and research institutions use both signal processing and machine learning techniques in their projects, so having knowledge and skills in both fields can be valuable.

5. Which field has a higher salary potential, signal processing or machine learning?

The salary potential in both signal processing and machine learning can vary depending on factors such as job role, industry, and location. However, in general, machine learning engineers and data scientists tend to have higher salaries compared to signal processing engineers. This is due to the high demand for machine learning skills in industries such as tech, finance, and healthcare.