Simple? Motion Equation Problems

• Thread starter harujina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to solve two problems involving uniform acceleration and distance traveled. The first problem involves finding the final velocity of a soccer player who travels 17m [E] in 3.8s from a rest position, while the second problem involves finding the acceleration experienced by a skier who travels 70m [down] in 5.3s from a rest position. The equation a = (vf-vi)/t is not applicable in these problems as neither the final velocity nor the acceleration is given. Instead, the equation d = (vf+vi)/2t is used to solve these problems.
harujina

Homework Statement

1. A soccer player with an initial velocity of 0 (rest position) accelerates uniformly as she runs down the field traveling 17m [E] in 3.8s. What is her final velocity?

2. A skier sits at rest on top of a hill. If the skier travels 70m [down] in 5.3s while accelerating uniformly, what acceleration does he experience?

Homework Equations

a = (vf-vi)/t ?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I used the above equation to try and solve these but they're not working?
The answer to 1 is supposed to be 8.9m/s[E] and the answer to 2 is 5.0m/s2 [down].

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not given the final velocity in this problem. Obviously, the equation you listed as relevant is not applicable. You need another equation. Examine carefully what is given in the problem and find an appropriate equation.

yes, but if i isolate vf and i get vf = vi +at, shouldn't that be ok to use?

Acceleration is not given either.

Likes 1 person
oh; d= (vf+vi)/2t
okay i got it, thank you :)

FAQ: Simple? Motion Equation Problems

1. What is a simple motion equation?

A simple motion equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between distance, time, and velocity of an object in motion. It is typically written as d = vt, where d is the distance traveled, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

2. How do I solve a simple motion equation problem?

To solve a simple motion equation problem, you need to identify the variables given in the problem and plug them into the equation. Use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown variable. It is also important to pay attention to the units of measurement and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

3. What are the common units used in simple motion equations?

The most common units used in simple motion equations are meters (m) for distance, seconds (s) for time, and meters per second (m/s) for velocity. However, other units such as kilometers, miles, hours, or feet can also be used depending on the problem.

4. Can a simple motion equation be used for objects with changing velocity?

Yes, a simple motion equation can still be used for objects with changing velocity. However, it will only give an average velocity over the entire time period and may not accurately represent the actual motion of the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple motion equations?

Simple motion equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the distance, time, and velocity of moving objects. They can also be applied in everyday situations, such as calculating the speed of a car on a highway or the distance traveled by a runner in a certain amount of time.

Back